Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: The ex-Spibblo Aende 531
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

I saw Spibblos Aende frame and forks come up for sale and it was what I've been after - a decent frame with lugs for mudguards. I don't have that much use for mudguards most of the time, but when I do...

This is the link to Spibblos original post so you can see how it was:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=175883&start=15

And this is what it looks like so far at my place:

The wheels are Mavic hubs with MA40 rims and I've put a new 7 speed block with a nice spread of ratios on there. The calipers are deep-drop Miche with plenty of space for mudguards.

Levers are Mavic because that's what I had lying around. The transmission is Athena with the exception of the Huret front derailleur.

The shifters are 8-speed indexed Athéna and it was either those or Simplex friction but I want to try the indexing. I haven't compiled a spec list as this might not be the definitive build - I might use a TA triple chainset. The bars and stem are GB Randonneur and the bar tape is some thick Brooks tape. Those pedals are Bianchi-branded pedals that came on a Bianchi I bought some time ago. I put them on because they're blue (!) but they won't necessarily stay.

I'm looking for some nice shiny mudguards next, and the Turbo will probably be replaced by a Brooks. It's coming together nicely and I'm very pleased with it so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Looks really good. I have just broken my 531 duck and got my first one after so many years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 am 
Retro Guru

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Looks really good. I have just broken my 531 duck and got my first one after so many years.

Thanks! The paint is fantastic, really sparkles in the sun, and I wish I'd weighed the frame and forks before I started building it - it felt nice and light. Can't go wrong with 531.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

My baby :D

You like the ride?

Agree with you about the brilliant paint sparkle- I could never quite capture it with a camera though.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
Retro Guru

I haven't captured the sparkle either - my camera really doesn't do it justice...

Other than a quick shakedown saunter around the block I haven't had the opportunity to ride the bike properly yet. Really looking forward to it though. I have a little rack that clips onto the top of the forks, and a good handlebar bag, so once I've found some decent shiny mudguards, stand by for a hazy South of France touring photo of the best of British among the vineyards... :D