Raleigh Scorpio

marge602

Retro Guru
This is my skip rescue Raleigh Scorpio. I've had it about six months, and have modernised it slightly, mostly to make it a bit more user-friendly. The original tyres were terrifying, so had to go. The bars were far too narrow and the stem too short, so were changed too. I think it's a 1978 model, did some online research earlier and the frame number dates it as a Worksop built '78.

I'm thinking of turning it into a singlespeed, and modernising it further. 700c wheels and tyres, modern brakes, change the bars again cos I don't really like them. The paint and decals aren't brilliant, but I just love the colour. Any opinions?

Marge

Attachments

• PicsArt_1362936279409.jpg
    PicsArt_1362936279409.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 6,955
Looks pretty good to me, I'd keep it as is and try a single speed project on a fresh 'victim' maybe with another skip rescue! I know what you mean about Raleigh bars though, the original ones on my refurbed Equipe were truly terrifying, then again, I'm used to 780mm bars on my MTBs so any road bars are going to be a struggle at first.

A Nice old Raleigh from the 70s, I'd clean and tidy it up, change the bars back to the originals bw white bar tape and finish off with a nice set of amber walled tyres. I'd keep the gears myself...

Looking good, +1 keep the gears and find another victim for the single speed,it's what i am doing myself

Not a bad looking old machine, flares are optional....

Scorpio2.jpg

Glad everyone likes it. Perhaps you're right, it might be better left as is. Trouble is, the wheels are a bit of a state. They're not buckled as such but dented, which makes braking awkward. Replacing the wheels would cure all of this.

Agreed about the tyres though, they really don't suit it. Like the idea of finding something else though. Since I built my 92 Dawes The Edge up a couple of months ago, I've got the retro bike bug.

Regards

Marge

Hi
Just seen this thread and had to comment.
I had a new one of these in about 1977 (My first and only new fully built bike)and did some club riding, and even a couple of 5 and 10 mile time trials until I built a Carlton Clubman in 1978/9

It was a bit of a tank but rode well enough. Nice looking bike but I like to see them as original...ish, and hate fixies but thats just me!! :LOL:

Dean.

DEAN C.":2pi9c9b7 said:
Hi
Just seen this thread and had to comment.
I had a new one of these in about 1977 (My first and only new fully built bike)and did some club riding, and even a couple of 5 and 10 mile time trials until I built a Carlton Clubman in 1978/9

It was a bit of a tank but rode well enough. Nice looking bike but I like to see them as original...ish, and hate fixies but thats just me!! :LOL:

Dean.

x2. :D

Latest posts

Back