Vitus 979 / Mavic SSC 1980's

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Here we go, Im about to start this build but first wanted to capture the bare components as they have taken so much effort to source. Many thanks to those on the forum, here and lfgss who have given me advice and helped me source the parts, much much harder to get than campag.
This is probably my final build....for a while......but completes my set of wanted bike from the eighties that I couldnt afford when I was racing. Rosssin Columbus SL (1970's Campag Super Record), Bottecchia SLX (Campag C-Record). I remember Sean Kelly riding a bike like this to victory in the 1986 Paris Roubaix in muddy conditions, brilliant! I've also got a set of the KAS frame transfers on order to finish along with Christophe chrome toe clips and white leather straps and black brake outers.
I guess the components speak for themselves. Absolute quality from Mavic, their top of the range SSC group set , sealed bearings in the bottom bracket/hubs/pedals, the headset is slightly later (circa 1990) as I absolutely couldn't source the 1980's one with vertical slots markings, and ideally I'd like the older Modolo gum coloured non-anatomic hoods to get exactly right. I'll put my GP4's on Campag tipo hubs on for now until I build the wheels, and use my Mavic QR skewers.

None of these are for show either, I'll be riding these all year (in the dry!)

Attachments

• 979 & Groupset.jpg
    979 & Groupset.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 5,336
  • Groupset.jpg
    Groupset.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 5,339
  • 979 full2.jpg
    979 full2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 5,331
  • KAS Kelly.jpg
    KAS Kelly.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,332
That's some collection you have amassed there, and that frame is looking top drawer indeed!

As your building make notes of any problems you encounter as I'm planning on building up a Vitus in the future so want to avoid any pitfalls.

Very much looking forward to seeing this built - what wheels are you proposing?

Cheers, I'm worn out and I haven't even got my spanners out yet! Ill definitely post as I go along but it might build very quickly from here. tips so far, get the best frame you can as they are old and can come unglued ( but not snap). Watch out for lots of black gunk around the joints as this can indicate that electrolysis on the joints might have occured, common problem if the frame got wet alot. I've grown in confidence with these frames now after reading up on how the tubes and lugs are over engineered, and that you can repair with Alraldite, I did used to race these after all. I'll build the hubs onto Mavic GP4's unless I happen upon a pair of Mavic SSC's or SSC Paris Roubaix's, but they are even rarer. Let me know how you get on
Darren

part built now, here some more photos. I had to fit a campagnolo bottom bracket in the end as it turned out that the mavic one was 134mm, still it was free. I'll keep an eye out for a mavic one later and some GP4 36 hole rims to build the hubs onto when finances allow but for now Im really happy with it. Just got to fit cables, chain, bar tape, clips and straps, and the KAS decals. Has it stopped snowing yet?

Attachments

• part built transmission 979.jpg
    part built transmission 979.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 5,253
  • Rear part built 979.jpg
    Rear part built 979.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 5,254
  • BB part built 979.jpg
    BB part built 979.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 5,253
  • Part built full 979.jpg
    Part built full 979.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 5,253
That's a great build, the Mavic gear is lovely to use. Be interested to hear your riding impressions - I had a 979 frame but sold it on as it was too big. The stories about flexing frames only seem to apply to the large sizes - mine was 56 and I ride a 54.

Rich34":1dc2zqei said:
That's a great build, the Mavic gear is lovely to use. Be interested to hear your riding impressions - I had a 979 frame but sold it on as it was too big. The stories about flexing frames only seem to apply to the large sizes - mine was 56 and I ride a 54.

Yes I can confirm that the smaller ones were much better and didn't flex much this is a 54cm. I raced a 979 and Alan carbon 9 (both 52cm) and trained on a futural in the late 80's early 90's but the ride is a distant memory so looking forward to revisiting it. Hope the roads clear up soon as I'll have this finished in a couple of days! The headset is my favourite part, unbelievably simple to fit and adjust, there is a grub screw under the top black band so just tighten with your hand and do the screw up :D

almost there and the sun shone briefly so I took some pictures. Just needs bottle cage, Mavic fork and rear stay stickers (ordered). Overall its come together really well no problems the kit bolts together really well and adjusts very easily. Just in time for Paris Roubaix, I'll be out on it that day rain or shine!! The only parts that are not 100 % correct are the campag tipo hubs and bottom bracket , and gum old style Modolo hoods, but I've put mavic skewers on for now.
Cheers DD

Attachments

• 979 finish tramsmission rear.jpg
    979 finish tramsmission rear.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 5,095
  • 979 rear mech.jpg
    979 rear mech.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5,094
  • chainset drive side 979 finish .jpg
    chainset drive side 979 finish .jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 5,094
  • 979 full finish lh side.jpg
    979 full finish lh side.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 5,095
  • headtube and gear levers.jpg
    headtube and gear levers.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 5,096
  • 979 full finish.jpg
    979 full finish.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 5,097
  • 979 finish lhc pedal chainset.jpg
    979 finish lhc pedal chainset.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 5,097
  • 979 full side front.jpg
    979 full side front.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5,095
That really is stunning... Where have you ordered the Mavic stickers from?

Tempted to start looking for a 979 in my size... Must... resist.... :twisted:

Latest posts

Back