Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 pm 
Retro Guru

There aren't many threads that make me hang around on eBay "just out of interest" but this is one. It's just as well Mavic stuff isn't easily available... This has come together really well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've got a Mavic BB going spare that's just missing a bearing and you can just steal from the one you have. This is a nice project so don't want much for it.....

Will dig around when I'm in the shop tomorrow - I may even have a spare axle you could just swap out with. You could have that for postage + karma. Would also be willing to lend you the chamfer tool if you need it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

That is so kind of you, this has been my favourite project , any combination of the suggestions you have made would be great, please pm me the details when you have them. I have a friend in a bike shop who will do the chamfer, the frame was originally chamfered but he had to rerun the tool through to fit the current Campag one, it runs very close as its a 111mm axle so changing to a Mavic one would be great and finish my project off perfectly. In fact I nearly rode it to work and back on it today but didn't, shame I took in a local 14% 700m cobbled climb in Cheshire called Swiss Hill, I'll ride up that on Paris Roubaix day!
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:51 am 
Retro Guru

Do the Mavic BBs use an easily bought bearing ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

latman wrote:
Do the Mavic BBs use an easily bought bearing ?

No sadly not, they are an odd size about 1-2mm out on measurements

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Found the spare axles. There's a 116 and a 113. I'm running a 113 on my own Mavic chainsets - both Starfish and 144BCD types so you'll be fine.

I also have a spare spare with a seized bearing race on one side...

So you should be sorted!

Give me your address and will send it off to you. Hopefully someone will take pity on me for the last of my Mavic triplets... (Look MI-80 with Dakar, Alan cross with Starfish SSC and the incomplete Brouwer Gilco with 80s SSC)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Just fitted the correct Mavic bottom bracket supplied very kindly by DBMTB :D :D , just had to salvage a bearing from the longer MTB Mavic BB that I had and it fits perfectly. The chain line is much better now with a 113mm axle. Also Kettlo sent me the photoshop artwork he did for me and I got the KAS labels printed onto white vinyl and mounted, the printer also covered them with a gloss protector so that I could use them...I did say it was for riding! I went out in the hills in the Peak District near Buxton last Tuesday and had an ace ride with my 42x21 up some 12% climbs! its so comfy and being smaller I didnt really notice the flex, the brakes are also much better than my 1970's campag super record ones on my Rossin. I'll be using it this weekend (weather permitting) on our club Paris Roubaix ride round Cheshire, that takes in some cobbled climbs and trails :D There really are some very kind people out there on this forum, I hope to return the favours soon where I can help out. I've attached a few final pictures.
Cheers Darren

Attachments:
Vitus Kelly KAS Full.jpg
Vitus Kelly KAS Full.jpg [ 319.74 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
Vitus Kelly KAS Bottle and Bracket.jpg
Vitus Kelly KAS Bottle and Bracket.jpg [ 448.71 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
Vitus Kelly KAS Transmission.jpg
Vitus Kelly KAS Transmission.jpg [ 269.73 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm 
Retro Guru

I love the bottle ;)

Great looking bike....excellent build...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 am 
Retro Guru

I found those gloves. I have had them for 26 years, they look like I have been using them for 26 years. Well worn, with lots of memories. I always wore these for years and years in races, TT's, club runs. A hole in the right thumb but 100% original. PM me your details for postage.....

Attachments:
Kas Mits.jpg
Kas Mits.jpg [ 83.71 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Hmm, perhaps I'll look for some KAS stickers for mine which is the 'goldenish' Peugeot shade without any decals at all. Where did you get yours from? I've got a KAS jersey to go with it :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next