Raleigh 1983 531C

gavr

rBotM Winner
I've built this bike up previously when I wasn't sure of it's provenance. It had been resprayed and was badged as a 753 with no forks.

I'm now certain that it's one of the Raleigh 1983 531c frames sold as Gran Sport, Road Ace or Competition 12.

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Raleigh83/ral83_05.jpg

I suspect one of the rationalizations that took place when the frame building was moved to Nottingham was the same frames were used on multiple models - gone was the nice chrome and different styling. The differences appear to be in the forks, the Road Ace had the Shimano EX Aero shifters and then just the colour of the paint.

So this is a Gran Sport or a Competition frame with Prugnat 54 lugs and tapered stays.

It's a bit of a shame to modernise it so heavily but I've built it as a present for my brother who is a bag of spanners when it comes to looking after a bike so it's a modern build that the LBS will be able to service for him. It's Ultegra 6600 mostly NOS expect for an older Dura-Ace 7700 chainset to save a bit of money.

The full bike weighs in at 9.5 kg so a bit less than the 1983 models, mainly down the the carbon fork.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,270
Is there a frame number on it? By 1983 I thought all the Raleigh's had under BB guides and the brazed on stop for the rear mech cable under the chainstay....

Shaun

Midlife":1fkn14vr said:
Is there a frame number on it? By 1983 I thought all the Raleigh's had under BB guides and the brazed on stop for the rear mech cable under the chainstay....

Shaun

WE300067

The frame is definitely not in original condition - the head badge is missing and the holes have been filled.

thats lovely, the frame butts and rear dropouts look the same as my 1982 raleigh competition.

what size carbon forks did you fit, and was it easy?

i dont suppose you know the headset size?

Percybigun":3nz27eno said:
thats lovely, the frame butts and rear dropouts look the same as my 1982 raleigh competition.

what size carbon forks did you fit, and was it easy?

i dont suppose you know the headset size?

cheers!

carbon forks with 1inch steerers can be difficult to find, although I see that Wiggle does some

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tifosi-carbon-r ... ks-1-inch/

or I found this one a bit more up market

http://www.shinybikes.com/columbus-1-no ... -fork.html

The headset is a Campag Chorus 1 inch - I'm not sure if they still do those but there is a Record version or for less money a Cane Creek or a Miche perhaps

Easy to fit, don't cut the steerer too short and put a few spacers in for adjustment. Shim the steerer tube up to 1 1/8 for good choice of stems

Back