A Keith Coppell - in Green

Theoldfm

rBotM Winner
I thought that rather than high jack the other Keith Coppell thread, I ought to start a thread of my own.

Over the last few months I have bought a couple of nice old retro racers, mainly to break for parts and earn some 'pocket money' with my eldest lad.

The latest acquisition was a vintage Keith Coppell road bike which I won on eBay having seen just a single blurred picture of the bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 900
Re: Keith Coppell - Green

When I picked the bike up last night, I could see that it had once been someone's pride and joy.

Apparently it was built for an elderly gentleman who recently passed away and his wife had asked her son in law to dispose of the bike as it had sat in various garages for the best part of 25 years.

The sellers initial intention was simply to take it to the tip as it was rusty and had flat, perished tyres. However, his mother in law suggested that as it had cost a lot of money when her husband originally bought it, they should try to sell it first.

They were really surprised about the amount of attention it got but I still won the auction for a very reasonable price.

Tonight I have given it a bit of a clean, removed the mudguards and pumped up the tyres just to see what it might look like if I decide to restore it rather than break it for parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 884

The bike really was 'barn find' fresh, the whole bike was covered in a thick layer of dust and grime

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 893

Some of the frame details really are lovely, very similar to a Harry Quinn!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 892
It's amazing what a bit of degreaser will do!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 884
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 747
Hi theoldfm
As mentioned on your other thread, that machine is really beautiful, love the colour.
I have always loved Harry Quinns and this has shown me a maker who I didnt know about previously.
Keep the pics and info coming.
Keep your eye out for a 19 1/2 ;)

Jamie

Well, I just couldn't wait and I was up until silly o'clock this morning, cleaning, polishing, stripping down, re-greasing and generally rebuilding the Keith Coppell.

Just bar tape and cables then it is finished!

What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 796
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 796
Back