Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
All is well again - the Garage door realigned, serviced and good to go. The shelf that collapsed seemingly damaged nothing

I've now got almost all the components I need to complete the build - there's one minor detail that I'd like some guidance from the community on.

What handlebar tape should I be using ? :-) Here are some pics of the period 130mm XA, and the cinelli crits I've sourced.

I'm taking my time considering final details - I'm going to savour the remainder of the work as the bulk has been done.

I'm planning a build with the components and paint as they are - with a view to possibly retouching paint and then applying new transfers, and potentially the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield could be a convenient opportunity to get some feedback before the next step - great idea Old Ned!


Attachments:
photo(15).JPG
photo(15).JPG [ 150.03 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
photo(16).JPG
photo(16).JPG [ 9.22 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:22 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 104
citrixccea wrote:
All is well again - the Garage door realigned, serviced and good to go. The shelf that collapsed seemingly damaged nothing

I've now got almost all the components I need to complete the build - there's one minor detail that I'd like some guidance from the community on.

What handlebar tape should I be using ? :-) Here are some pics of the period 130mm XA, and the cinelli crits I've sourced.

I'm taking my time considering final details - I'm going to savour the remainder of the work as the bulk has been done.

I'm planning a build with the components and paint as they are - with a view to possibly retouching paint and then applying new transfers, and potentially the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield could be a convenient opportunity to get some feedback before the next step - great idea Old Ned!


Looks like it could have been Benotto tape which you can still get NOS in yellow

Attachment:
3995071365_351fa1999a.jpg
3995071365_351fa1999a.jpg [ 193.86 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
I know it's been quiet on the build thread recently - I've been busy riding not restoring!

That said, I have finally tracked down the yellow benotto tape & plugs the bearings for the headset, and all my 'loot' will be winging it's way across the Atlantic shortly.

I have managed to snipe my own hardcopy collectors card (as posted digitally by TimColnago above) - it should just allow me to do a high res scan, and confirm if I've got the spec EXACTLY right.

It's been interesting riding my new bike - and while it's very nice, it just shows what a great bike the 753 is - I'd say that the only real difference between the two is the new bike has a wider gear range, probably fits me better, and I notice I'm experiencing less back pain!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
Old Ned wrote:
This is a great build, congrats on what you've done so far. A mate of mine (who has just joined us) used to train with Dave on the local chaingang etc. I remember him as a local young lad with potential (!).

As you're in Yorkshire why not bring it along to the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield June 15th? I'm sure it would create a lot of interest. You might get some useful feedback as well.



Old Ned,

I've been looking for info on the web about the show, and a fair amount seems to be out of date - do you have a contact for the show you can send me by PM ?

It's going to be 'touch and go' if the bike gets finished by 15th of June....

I have received the NOS headset bearings today from Italy, and I'd forgotten how easy it is to setup a standard headset versus an 'aheadset' ... I've probably not done a conventional one in 20 years, but it just seemed to flow quite naturally, and the steering feels cracking again! The only upside of the aheadset seemingly being the lack of a need for a massive great spanner. Frankly I've found all sorts of other uses for a 32mm spanner over the years :-) I suppose I rarely take one on a ride though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Hmm, I learned on Thursday evening that it might actually be cancelled but I need to contact the organiser myself to make sure. It'll be dissappointing if it is as he only took over the show last year from the previous organiser. However, it may be problems with the hire of the hall or anything so no prejudgments will be made as to the reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
A long shot - but I hear on the grapevine that the Etape du Dales (http://www.daveraynerfund.co.uk/etapedudales), a major source of income for the Dave Rayner fund is in need of volunteers for this Sunday (19th of May 2013) . As it's starts in Grassington, North Yorkshire it's probably only relevant to those relatively local. I've asked the organiser for details of when he needs people, and for how long, and what he needs done, and I'll post more as I know more.

Got to be a way to get build up some Karma credits - who's free ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
I'm an excited retrobiker tonight - my package finally arrived, full of swag.

Two reels of Benotto tape and plugs
Two complete sets of campagnolo gear/brake outers in Pearl white
Synchro Levers
Rear Q/R Skewer
Brake levers with White hoods.

I'm very impressed with practically everything - the white hoods on the levers are nearly flawless. I don't intend to use the levers, so those will be sold on, they're in very, very good nick with just a little rub on one of them, but they're not original and they don't have the hex key adjuster.
And I've spent ages polishing the old ones up!

There are an inordinate amount of bits in with the synchro levers - if anyone can refer me to a diagram showing the right assembly order I'd be very grateful!

Rear skewer is good, but the static nut side doesn't quite match the front one - it has two flat edges to it, rather than being just round, but it's still progress from the Tacx one !

And of course - here's a pic


Attachments:
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG [ 160.03 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 295
Five minutes with Google found me all I need to know, what did we do before the web...

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/ca ... fters.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 am
Posts: 756
Location: Nottingham
citrixccea wrote:
I'm an excited retrobiker tonight - my package finally arrived, full of swag.

Two reels of Benotto tape and plugs
Two complete sets of campagnolo gear/brake outers in Pearl white
Synchro Levers
Rear Q/R Skewer
Brake levers with White hoods.

I'm very impressed with practically everything - the white hoods on the levers are nearly flawless. I don't intend to use the levers, so those will be sold on, they're in very, very good nick with just a little rub on one of them, but they're not original and they don't have the hex key adjuster.
And I've spent ages polishing the old ones up!

There are an inordinate amount of bits in with the synchro levers - if anyone can refer me to a diagram showing the right assembly order I'd be very grateful!

Rear skewer is good, but the static nut side doesn't quite match the front one - it has two flat edges to it, rather than being just round, but it's still progress from the Tacx one !

And of course - here's a pic


Put a pic up of the skewer nuts front and rear, I may have one that matches one or the other


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 302
Location: West Dorset
citrixccea wrote:
Five minutes with Google found me all I need to know, what did we do before the web...

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/ca ... fters.html


Don't forget the thin washer that fits inside the body of the shifter under the Syncro insert and a smear of oil. Watch out when you install the Syncro insert too as those two springs can become a bit tired with age, I broke both springs in my shifters the other day without really trying. I took a chance though and ordered some springs that were advertised for 8/9 speed Ergos and they are the same, Campagnolo part number SL-RE009, loads on Ebay but all in the USA it appears. Mind you it was a blessing in disguise as the new springs give a much more positive click in each gear, before you could barely feel the resistance at all.

Martin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mac2016, Markone and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group