raleigh sb664

lawsonandy99

Dirt Disciple
hi folks,

this is my 3rd attempt at this post having managed to delete the previous two while trying and failing to add some photos so forgive me if i just post text at the moment and photos to follow. (the process of adding photos will likely invole hanging my head in shame while asking my wife for help to, "post photos of that rusty old piece of sh*t on the computer....?" wifes words,not mine)

im the new owner of an old raleigh ilkeston frame in its original gold paint with frame number sb664 and having read cloonaghpats thread on his rather lovely sb676 thought id maybe attempt one myself given the amount of knowledge that appears to frequent these pages.the bike is currently partially stripped as a cracked seat clamp lug is to be repaired at Argos and im considering stripping some blistered paint showing signs of rust from bb shell.this aside im hoping some tlc will prove sufficient as original paint/decals are battered in bits but have tons of character.

the 'to follow' photos will hopefully show some detailed lugs my untrained eye has never seen on an ilkeston bike before and noticed fork steerer tube is stamped JH and also has a slightly more detailed crown than the norm although also wearing original paint and sporting matching drilled drop outs? sure somebody will shed some light on my mystery.

anyways, thanks for puting up with my ramblings and hopefully have a slide show to add soon.

andy.

photos...?

Attachments

• 2013-03-04 17.56.01.jpg
    2013-03-04 17.56.01.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 881
  • 2013-03-04 17.56.20.jpg
    2013-03-04 17.56.20.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 881
  • 2013-03-04 17.56.30.jpg
    2013-03-04 17.56.30.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 881
  • 2013-03-04 18.11.03.jpg
    2013-03-04 18.11.03.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 881
I cant shed any light on the lugs I'm afraid but it certainly looks like it will build into a nice machine. :cool:
I'm sure one of the more informed Raleigh guys will be along soon to hopefully shed some light on it.
I'll keep checking back so keep us updated.
Nice find

Jamie

Hi, I see you are in Edinburgh too!
Your frame is featured here in the gallery and Archives section, Raleigh catalogues, professional framesets 1980.. :eek:

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'd seen a similar photo already and noticed the decals are almost identical but the lugs in the photo are the standard ones. I've got a few nice clear photos of the complete bike but it seems unless the detail is similar to that a 5yr old with a blunt crayon could scribble then the link rejects it? my knowledge of computers probably doesn't help. :?

The bike came with super record headset and cranks(i think), record mechs and Galli brakes with lovely drilled levers, a campagnolo aero post and lycet swallow saddle that's a good age but not seen many lycra clad rears and a set of cinelli bars in a crit kind of shape but sporting engravings of two shields and helmets?

Hope to get the bb out this week and send frame off for repair so time to get busy cleaning stuff I think.

Andy.

Interesting frame, I'm not an expert by any means but SBDU started building at the end of 1974 so if the number is correct then that's a mid-late 75 frame.

Lugs are interesting :) Lots of mystique about some of the very early frames but I guess they were built for the Raleigh Team first off but all I remember are Prugnat style lugs with joe public frames coming later.

Silver / gold seemed to be the colour of choice for the time trial frames, plonk a wheel in and I guess there won't be a lot of space LOL

Tragedy was I was 14 at the time and paid no attention ..

Shaun

Re: raleigh 753 sb664

hi shaun,

thanks for your reply, id wondered if the frame was originally a tt varient but have measured the toptube at 56.5 c/c on a 61 sized frame. im likely wrong on this but had always thought tt frames would be 'longer' to allow riders to stretch down and be more aerodynamic and 56.5 seems fairly standard?

ive hopefully managed to add a couple of photos of the frameset on a pair of 700c wheels to give an idea of clearance, again to my untrained eye all looks normal but not sure how much space wouldve been the norm?

guess our interests back in late '75 wouldve still been similar though, can only imagine a 14yr old boy wouldve spent most of his time dreaming of breasts, at 3-4months old id probably not recognise much else?

cheers,

andy

Attachments

• 2013-03-05 18.53.18.jpg
    2013-03-05 18.53.18.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 805
  • 2013-03-05 19.49.07.jpg
    2013-03-05 19.49.07.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 805
Thanks for the extra photo's :)

It's the gold that has me thinking.......Raleigh used a gold colour lacquer for their early lightweight frames to save weight, their hour record frames came in gold lacquer as far as I remember.

Other TT bikes also came in a silver lacquer which was also a weight saving over more normal paint finishes, I guess the most famous I can think of is Martin Pyne's TT bike.

Your frame has guides for a 10 speed though :)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will post :D

Shaun

PS Tragically Slade came before breasts

Lovely frame. I haven't seen those lugs before either. Its great you have all those period components. That will save a fortune!

Regards,

Pat

LUGS - Raleigh sb664

Lugs have a certain look of the Capella about them - those being a Carlton lug, which is no real surprise as the SBDU did (at least in the early days) have ex-Carlton guys building there.

Vagner fork crown.

A very nice frameset, it would be great to see it restored in the original finish (or left as is), and with all due respect to the"team"frames: but IMO there's just too many.

Just a few brief thoughts.

Roadking.

Back