Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:20 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 pm
Posts: 263
Location: Worcs
One of my fave frames of all time...You've already got the brakes, thats the expensive bit over!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 90
Location: KENT
tarloone wrote:
One of my fave frames of all time...You've already got the brakes, thats the expensive bit over!




Yes have always wanted a project for some Delta's now I've found my chance ! Brakes were the first thing I went for after getting the frame ! I remember in about 2006 the Deltas were selling at 90- £100 a set (calipers only) wish I'd bought 10 sets then ....................... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 172
Location: Northern Ireland
Fantastic project, looking forward to seeing further progress. Looking great so far :D Only thing i'd change is the bottle & cage. While its a good match for the groupset and is certainly worth holding onto, a '89 Fignon bike would'nt be right without a Tour Coca Cola bottle. Hard to find in original condition, and will probably cost the earth! :o

Keep up the good work.....

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 90
Location: KENT
mAdam wrote:
Fantastic project, looking forward to seeing further progress. Looking great so far :D Only thing i'd change is the bottle & cage. While its a good match for the groupset and is certainly worth holding onto, a '89 Fignon bike would'nt be right without a Tour Coca Cola bottle. Hard to find in original condition, and will probably cost the earth! :o

Keep up the good work.....

Image



Yep !Qite a few bits here won't be the eventual items and was definately thinking maybe the coke bottles......Anyway a liile sneak at a possible tyre choice !Very aware that his bike had white wall tyres rather than amber wall !!Well after net surfing I only found 1 supply for white wall 23 mm tyres


Attachments:
phpiiVmpRAM.jpg
phpiiVmpRAM.jpg [ 150.94 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]
phpQs46CWAM.jpg
phpQs46CWAM.jpg [ 153.28 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]
phpTzfQYVAM.jpg
phpTzfQYVAM.jpg [ 185.8 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 90
Location: KENT
Thoughts :| :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 172
Location: Northern Ireland
Castorama used Michelin HiLites back then at a time when the rest mostly used tubulars which were very tan in colour. This made the Michelins look white in comparison. I used a few sets back in the early 90's and although they had a very light coloured side wall, they were never truely white. I'd agree most of the photos of Fignon and company from back then made his tyres look white. I reckon its a combination of the bright French sun and the dark tan of everyone elses tubs?

Your tyres do look remarkably close to those in the photo of Fignon, and they will possibly weather in a bit, so, unless you manage to turn up a NOS pair of Michelin HiLites, i'd stick with them :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 90
Location: KENT
Indoors with better lighting :D


Attachments:
php7cTCr3AM.jpg
php7cTCr3AM.jpg [ 96.31 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]
phpkvUuh7AM.jpg
phpkvUuh7AM.jpg [ 88.43 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]
phpbszS3IAM.jpg
phpbszS3IAM.jpg [ 99.02 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 90
Location: KENT
mAdam wrote:
Castorama used Michelin HiLites back then at a time when the rest mostly used tubulars which were very tan in colour. This made the Michelins look white in comparison. I used a few sets back in the early 90's and although they had a very light coloured side wall, they were never truely white. I'd agree most of the photos of Fignon and company from back then made his tyres look white. I reckon its a combination of the bright French sun and the dark tan of everyone elses tubs?

Your tyres do look remarkably close to those in the photo of Fignon, and they will possibly weather in a bit, so, unless you manage to turn up a NOS pair of Michelin HiLites, i'd stick with them :D




Many thanks for your information very useful ,have stuck it up in the spare room ,the more I look at it the more I feel it is as close and we are going to get :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 302
Location: West Dorset
Looking really smart, looks like we'll have a little group of Super U/Castorama replicas when Kettlo gets his pics up. I am in the process of building my team replica too, the frame is at Argos Cycles as we speak and I'm busy collecting all the bits to make up the whole bike - just rear dérailleur and brake levers to go!

What rims are you using? I managed to get a pair of NOS Michelin Hi Lite Comp (700x23C) a few weeks ago via Ebay and they really look the part.

From what I can make out the team used ITM bars and stem rather than 3TTT, although I have chosen a pair of 3TTT Paris Roubaix bars as I like the internal cable routing but have gone for an ITM stem. What bar tape are you going to use? I had a go at the tricolour design on my 531C (see below) but it met with very mixed reviews on here. I quite like it so can't decide to use that on my replica or just plain white.

Image

Have you chosen a saddle yet?

Loads of questions I know, I am really keen on these bikes and am now able to fulfil a 23 year old desire!

Martin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 222
Location: Roscrea
Mike,

Absolutely wonderful. The paint and decals are fantastic. I just love the look of this bike. Thanks for posting. Its just class.

Regards,

Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group