Hinds is Back on The Road

grumpyoldgit

Dirt Disciple
Got my Hinds finished.The only new parts used,tubs,brake blocks,inner gear & brake cables,hoods & adjuster covers,chain,& bar tape (didnt get enough)Pump is non original,I could do with a better one if you have one.Chainset caps are temporary until I find some good Campag ones.
I am only the second user of this bike,I say user,because one owner sold it straight on,& the guy I bought it off never even started the refurb.First user was a works rider,so was he an owner or a user.
I also have one W.Hinds tyre cover,not ready yet,they were made from floral plastic table cloths,I kid you not.
All paint ,transfers etc all original.

Attachments

• IMG_1203 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1203 (Small).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1205 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1205 (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1206 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1206 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1207 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1207 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1209 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1209 (Small).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1212 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1212 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1216 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1216 (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2,537
  • IMG_1214 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1214 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,537
Few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1208 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1208 (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1215 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1215 (Small).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1218 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1218 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1219 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1219 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1221 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1221 (Small).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_1224 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1224 (Small).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,536
Cool , someone else has a Hinds :D . I recently acquired a Hinds Road track , original paint , with same graphics as yours . Mines late 50t's at a guess with early nervex pro lugs , really well made .
Couldn't find much about them on the net , so I asked my Dad , who used to race in the 50t's, and is from sarf London . He remembers Hinds being a smallish shop in clapham ,their frames and paint jobs were highly regarded. Mines currently my everyday commuter , fixed with mudguards . Mainly modernish kit except the chainset which is a very early Campag Record .

If you look on the headset badge,it says Clapham,Ealing & Lewisham.W.Hinds are the jewellery shop chain,now F Hinds,I think.They took over a couple of the defunct Claud Butler shops in the early 70's.He also started Hammer House of Horrer at Ealing Studio.
If you got your bike in the last few months,it could have come from the same source as mine,as there were a couple of track frames sold as well.

Lovely colours, lovely looking frame. Makes you want to see it in the flesh (or in the metal).

Like the small details, like the brazed on pump holder and cable guide on the seat cluster.
Is that a unicrown or some other lugless front fork?

More pictures, please!

Johnny

Nice job done. Really nice bike. Also so some splended details, the welded pump-"head" for example. I love the Universal brakes, but please place ther stradles the other way arouynd as they should be. Really one for the RBotM.

grumpyoldgit":2mw9hgwu said:
If you look on the headset badge,it says Clapham,Ealing & Lewisham.W.Hinds are the jewellery shop chain,now F Hinds,I think.They took over a couple of the defunct Claud Butler shops in the early 70's.He also started Hammer House of Horrer at Ealing Studio.
If you got your bike in the last few months,it could have come from the same source as mine,as there were a couple of track frames sold as well.

Yes same source , There were two track frames offered on Gumtree , one green and one purple , missed the green one by a couple of hours , but bagged the purple one , which being a road / track and my exact size was perfect for me . Have to say I don't normally bother with Gumtree , I just had a look out of idol curiosity , and there it was, couldn't believe my luck, I'd been looking for a interesting 50t's track frame in good original condition for a long time , it was also embarrassingly cheap :D . My frame has the name Kevin Scriven (or something like that ) on the top tube . I'd post some pics , but that would mean having to clean the bike :D ,

Back