Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:21 pm 
Retro Guru

here's some wiki quotes
"Master, steel tubing Columbus nivachrome "Gilco" drawn in "star shape." ("Master" frames went through several iterations from Columbus tubing, Deda DT15V to "Ultimate Superlight" from Tange (Japan) depending on year of production.)'

"Tecnos; Colnago's lightest steel racing frame made from 1995 - 2000. Custom Tecnos tubeset made with Columbus Nivachrom steel, oversize top and down tubes with five-leaf-clover shaping. Chromed three point crown-tip lugs on head tube and Precisa steel fork (when not used with a carbon fork)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colnago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am 
Old School Hero

Look forward to seeing your bike built up
Lovely

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Saarf - Q for you. Following your damning allegation that my Tecnos (Which I owned from new and bought new as a Tecnos!), I've been searching t'Internet, and I'm beginning to think you may be right... :-( So can you identify the frame?

It's Tange, so I assume 1994 as that's the only year they used Tange.
It's round tubed, and has from original, curved forks
Rear triangle appears to be chromed with paint over
Brake cable routes through top tube
Brake cable enters on bottom of TT at front, exits at top at rear.

I'm beginning to think I was "done" and it's a C94... Bought and collected as frame / fork with BB andf HS fitted from a place in Cornwall who used to advertise 'Nagos in Cycling Weekly. We were down on hols, so I pre-ordered and collected it on the way, but can't recall the shop. (Not interested in "compo" or anything, should have paid more attention 18 years ago and have no record of the transaction now...)

Last edited by BigFoz on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I remember those ad's in the comic too. You've got me racking my brain trying to remember the name of the company now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 am 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

Was the company Ricci?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:18 pm 
Retro Guru

ededwards wrote:
Was the company Ricci?

That rings a bell !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Bang on! They were really nice blokes as I recall from dealing with them - I assume that wires simply got crossed and I came away with the wrong thing and (I think) never actually bought anything else due to the distance and this being pre-Internet shops and Ribble.

I'm not hugely bothered on 3 counts:
1. It's a magic bike, I love riding it still. You don't spend a chunk of change refurbing a 20 year old bike you don't like...
2. As I now weigh a tiny wee fraction (ok, a fair sized chunk...) more than the recommendation for a Tecnos, it's probably a good thing ;-)
3. I bought it a year out of date, so whether it was a Tecnos or a C-94 or a Superissimo or something else, I got the frame half price.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:56 pm 
Old School Hero

BigFoz wrote:
Bang on! They were really nice blokes as I recall from dealing with them - I assume that wires simply got crossed and I came away with the wrong thing and (I think) never actually bought anything else due to the distance and this being pre-Internet shops and Ribble.

I'm not hugely bothered on 3 counts:
1. It's a magic bike, I love riding it still. You don't spend a chunk of change refurbing a 20 year old bike you don't like...
2. As I now weigh a tiny wee fraction (ok, a fair sized chunk...) more than the recommendation for a Tecnos, it's probably a good thing ;-)
3. I bought it a year out of date, so whether it was a Tecnos or a C-94 or a Superissimo or something else, I got the frame half price.

You have a colnago you like riding with a paint job you hopefully love , ( I think it looks cool ) & you have been happy with for 20 years ....
Win win win .... :D look forward to seeing the bike built

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm 
Retro Guru

It should look ace. Having carefully taken everything off so it could back on without having to adjust, I decided halfway through to sell my too small Master X-Lite (some pics Kaiser!), so it will go to Record Ti 9spd with Deltas, and I bought a bit of bling to go on it too. White bars / stem / seatpost, gold chain. It's going to be wall art in between rides (I hope - wife and I still arguing about whether "my side of my study" means I can hang a bike as art...). Have some polishing to do as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I think it looks great and so what if it's not a Tecnos, whatever that is. it's a Colnago and they are a mystery to most people..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next