Carlton Corsa worth renovating?

dannyc77

Retro Newbie
Hi guys

Got a Carlton Corsa which has been lying around unused in my dads garage for a while now. Was thinking of giving it a new lease of life but have never attempted this sort of thing before. Looks a bit rusty on the frame and rims? My father in law has a workshop and would give me a hand, but is it worth it time money wise? Im not doing this to sell on just would like to use it for commuting myself. The bike is currently in Ireland but Im not sure on size - I would need 56cm i think or 22.5 inches

Any thoughts opinions would be appreciated?

Heres a link to some photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93277909@N05/sets/72157632786000421/

Thanks again

Looks nice enough, nothing wrong with it all! I'd investigate a few hours giving it a deep clean, (you'll be able to get most the rust off I should think) then some new cables, which are very cheap on eBay and it will be up an running again, do the tyres hold air? How long is your commute? You may want to get some new tubes as the old ones may have perished slightly.

Freddie

the tyres look like they need replacing all right - my commute is only 4 miles each way so not too far. not sure if the gears chain rings etc are too rusty and would need replacing from the photos though - unfortunately the bike is not nearby but I can get it sent over if I want it!

I'd say that's 19" or 21" at the most. It depends on the frame geometry of course, but generally a 22.5" frame has more head tube than that.

It's still worth cleaning up though, Carltons are worth decent money.

Crespera lugs which stopped in 1974 and in the unusual green (green was an unlucky colour) so not a common bike to see about in 2013....well worth resurecting IMHO. Might have to have quite a bit of seat post showing though :D

Shaun

Carltons are always worth doing up!

Yes looks to be a 21" frame - will need a good deal of work. The wheels/tyres are shot but the main bits are there.

As Shaun says its a mide 70s bike, they were still in this form in 75, as I have a couple myself. Not sure if green is unlucky!

One of my green Corsas!

P2090098_zpsacf255bf.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks so much for the info guys - think it might be a tad small for me but Im going to have a go at restoring it anyway. Do you think the wheels will come up OK I know I need new tyres? If it looks half as good as the one in the above photo I'll be happy!

Back