My Vitus 992 with C Record 8 speed

tarloone

Retro Guru
This is my first retro build, that started with a purchase of a nice priced C Record equipped bike back in November last year, several purchases later including the 992 frame and this is the result, this is probably a pretty close replica of what I'd have owned 20 odd years ago had I not have given up sometime in 1992. I always wanted a 979 so couldn't turn down this 992 - a basically enhanced 979 I guess.

It was a rewarding journey with few issues and the Campag 8 speed syncro's worked perfectly first time and have been perfectly reliable...despite all I've heard about them, I've been nicely surprised at how slick and precise they are! Anyhow, hope you like the bike as much as I enjoyed putting it together. I had a C Record groupset over 20 years ago - it was nice to look down and see that sculpted front hub and brake again :D

I just need to fit the front gear cable and get a replacement for the bent front mech!

Frame: Vitus 992 52cm centre to top

Fork: Vitus 992

Headset: Vitus 992
Stem: Cinelli XA 11cm
Handlebar: Cinelli Giro D Italia 64/42
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo C Record
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo C Record Delta
Brake Pads: Campagnolo C Record Delta
Brake Cables: BRB (though I did try to match the campag white)

Shifters: Campagnolo C Record 8 speed syncro
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record
Derailleur Cables: BRB (though I did try to match the campag white)
Cassette: Campagnolo 8 speed cassette 13/23t
Chain: KMC 8 speed
Cranks: Campagnolo C Record 170mm (L/H arm is Chorus)
Chainrings: Campagnolo C Record 39/53t
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Veloce cartridge
Pedals: Campagnolo C Record (licensed by look)

Rims: Mavic Open SUP
Hubs: Campagnolo C Record 32H cassette
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo C Record
Spokes: Sapim Race
Tyres: Schwalbe
Tubes: lightweight 700's

Saddle: Turbo matic
Seatpost: Vitus
Seatpost Binder: Vitus

Bottle Cage: Elite
Extras: Nil

Weight: TBC but hopefully 21Ibs or less

Attachments

• vit9.JPG
    vit9.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 2,624
  • vit3.JPG
    vit3.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 2,624
  • Vitus re_touch 2.jpg
    Vitus re_touch 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,624
  • thev2.JPG
    thev2.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 2,623
  • thev1.JPG
    thev1.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 2,622
  • vit7.JPG
    vit7.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 2,620
  • vit8.JPG
    vit8.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 2,620
daj":etw5vy5b said:
Lovely :cool:

Your steed for Gospel?

Certainly is, although only 12-23t as that was only a tenner as opposed to £30 for the 13-26t...although that £20 may seem good value at roughly 13:00hrs next Sat! :roll:

although that £20 may seem good value at roughly 13:00hrs next Sat!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmmmm I am stuck with what to ride, Think its going to be modern mainly for the gears :roll:

That's a great looking bike,love the Vitus frames and the Alan's as well I am a fan of all things aluminium, those Delta brakes are the coolest,well done.

just superb, love everything about this bike. have been chatting to a couple of Vitus owners and i've decided to get one these built up this summer once i've sourced the parts. however, this has massively raised the bar!! lovely stuff.

Thanks all! The ride is stunning, far stiffer and solid than I was expecting, it seems they moved it on somewhat from the 979. Despite the heft in comparison to my modern carbon Ridley Helium....this still shifts, once up and running, I was surprised just how fast is.

The syncro shifters still continue to amaze with the precise shifting, and whilst I've not used downtube shifters for over 20 years, they are completely intuitive to use and the only choice for my retro build.

I just wish I could stop looking at the damn thing, all that shiny alloy and campag bling is just spellbinding on a sunny day, I foresee this getting selected for a lot more rides than I was anticipating!

I love 992's and have always wondered what one would look like dressed in Record. I have a couple, one with Chorus and another in Athena (see my signature links)

I'd vote for that,very pretty . I really like the polished front end ,i wondered about ally forks for stiffness but your comments on handling have been helpfull . :)

Back