1955 F. R. Russell Rebuild

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I've been in bikeaholic recovery for 12 months now and I was doing well. I've sold off about 50 bikes and lots of components during the past year and almost cleared my shed. I'm keeping my Crowther as 'the bike' and a 1953 Claud Butler Jubilee which is a future restoration project.

8.30am Saturday I find myself driving up the motorway through the sleet and rain to see a man about a bike :facepalm: When I get there it turns out he has TWO bikes :facepalm: I don't know why I was thinking I could just have one because I bought them both.

One is a 1970 Carlton Ten, showing its age slightly but all original. Reynolds 531, nice Brooks saddle…...

Two is a very interesting F. R. Russell Fixed which is encased in what must be 50+ years of gunk and crap. The chain is so gunked up it looks about twice as wide as it should be. However, the gunk seems to have preserved things very well, the Williams C1000 crank reveals a AZ date of 1959. There is a nice Bayliss and Wiley bottom bracket and a rare Major Taylor adjustable track stem along with nice big droopy handlebars. There is very little info about F. R. Russell but it seems their shop still exists in Walsall. They built frames between 1934 and 1965 for the local racing scene. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has come across them before?

I'll post some pics later, I'm just off for a therapy session and a lie down :LOL:

Re: Bikeaholic Relapse - 1970 Carlton Ten & 1959 F. R. Russe

Don't be too hard on yourself..sounds like you have, through an epic stuggle, possibly managed to place yourself in that vanishingly small percentage of retrobikers who can actually list their collection of bike-related tat,and that's no small achievement...well..we won't count those fast-food containers full of what used to be called: "sundries", like old spokes and valve-cores and ball-bearings...that would be inhuman....

We are here for you - oh wait but as enablers I think.

Can't imagine selling 50 bikes and keeping only two. I get so much pleasure out of ambling through the Bike Garage caressing each little jewel, admiring the stable....

Ah yes it is a bit out of hand.

Steven

Some pics of the F. R. Russell. Don't worry guys, if I'm off the wagon I'll soon have it back up to 50 bikes :LOL:

I've stripped off the Crank tonight and discovered the left crank is dated AU - 1955. Logic would say the drive side may have been changed due to teeth wear and the left side could be original, making it 1955 or thereabouts. The bars are Stratalite Madison - England. Seat post is a Reynolds Hiduminium R4, I've read that R4 denotes the size but can't find what the size should be, the calipers have it about 27.2mm. Not sure if the forks are original, although someone has been out with the red paint, the stem should be chrome.

Attachments

• P1000307.JPG
    P1000307.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,449
  • P1000298.JPG
    P1000298.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,449
  • P1000300.JPG
    P1000300.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,449
  • P1000302.JPG
    P1000302.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • P1000303.JPG
    P1000303.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • P1000304.JPG
    P1000304.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • P1000310.JPG
    P1000310.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,448

Lovely, just the type of restore I enjoy, something aged but in need of restoration ( it looks like it might clean up okay - is that your thinking ), lovely Nervex Legere Series 48 lugs, and complete.The forks are period, original, who knows, once stripped you might find the answer, 1955 looks a possible but I can't help with the russell connetion,sorry, but I will watch out for any info. Keep us up dated. Terry

lewisfoto":jafxj1w6 said:
Oh man that's nice, but wow its huge

It is on the big side, I've not checked it yet but I guess 24".

OldTel":2zopg4v0 said:
Lovely, just the type of restore I enjoy, something aged but in need of restoration ( it looks like it might clean up okay - is that your thinking ), lovely Nervex Legere Series 48 lugs, and complete.The forks are period, original, who knows, once stripped you might find the answer, 1955 looks a possible but I can't help with the russell connetion,sorry, but I will watch out for any info. Keep us up dated. Terry

Thanks Terry, that's some useful info about about the Nervex lugs. The killer on most bikes is the condition of the paintwork but fortunately the old black enamel looks in good condition. There are a few chips and scrapes but black is usually one of the most forgiving colours to touch up. The plan is to strip, clean and polish then rebuild, most of the bike is now stripped and I hope to remove the forks tonight. I'll keep updated with photo's.

The old Brooks saddle is unfortunately scrap, it looks to have reached the end of its ability to tighten and its nose has ripped off! Somewhere I have a fairly age appropriate replacement. The wheels are also in a poor condition and not original. Everything else looks to be salvageable, the Williams crank cotters popped off nicely, they usually give me no end of grief!

I'm just getting some quotes on re-plating the stem. There was a great guy just outside of Shrewsbury but he's packed up. Will probably need to be sat down when the quotes come in!

I've been looking at the Bayliss & Wiley axle which is stamped 15NGCC (none gear-case clearance). If original, which it looks, that would confirm its always been a single speed according to the classic lightweights website.

Robbied196":15ap6po1 said:
I'm just getting some quotes on re-plating the stem. Will probably need to be sat down when the quotes come in!

1st quote £95 + VAT + Delivery, 4-6 weeks turnaround time. ( :facepalm: )

2nd quote £20 + VAT + Delivery, 24-48 hour turnaround time. (About what I would have paid cash in Shrewsbury)

Now, I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, but I'm going to take my chances on the 2nd quote :LOL:

Back