Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:33 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:10 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Tarted up a couple of my favourite Carltons recently. My green 23-1/2 Corsa has a new set of top quality SKS guards, my old Blumels Classiques ones were beginning to look a bit tired after 25 years + use. As for my other mauve Corsa from the late 60s/early 70s, I've added some new World Tours to an alloy wheel set I had kicking around - looks a lot more elegant to my eye now. The old steel rim Ragidas will be re-spoked and cleaned. Hope you like them...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

:shock: Two stunningly beautiful Carltons, I've always loved that green, makes me green with envy :lol:

I've just bought a Carlton Ten which needs a clean and rebuild. Just going to do a bit of research but I think its 1969/70ish. Will post pics at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Imichrome decals look better on yours than the one's we used to sell in the shop.........look great but boy are they easy to scrape :)

Steel rigida rims are my pet hate in the wet :(

Shaun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:55 pm 
Retro Guru

I like your style , the saddle bag and the dynamo take me back to the road i visited my nan on some 38 years ago . yes i will start viewing tourers more seriously from now on and plan to add one to my fantasy collection, even if your photos were taken on a rainy backround they would still generate summer days . black/that green/white, work well i reckon....comparisons any one dynamo front hubs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 am 

Midlife wrote:
Imichrome decals look better on yours than the one's we used to sell in the shop.........look great but boy are they easy to scrape :)

Steel rigida rims are my pet hate in the wet :(

Shaun

The decals are 'fragile'. Steel rims are a 'challenge' in the wet... :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 am 

Robbied196 wrote:
:shock: Two stunningly beautiful Carltons, I've always loved that green, makes me green with envy :lol:

I've just bought a Carlton Ten which needs a clean and rebuild. Just going to do a bit of research but I think its 1969/70ish. Will post pics at some point.

Thanks, both are well used - my two favourite mounts for the wetter months...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm 
Retro Guru

hi , how do you find the power generated by that dynamo ! bit naf , mine was, that whiring noise down hill in the wet was fun. but have you found some good modern bulbs to go with them . i d really love to have a tourer with a dynamo front hub... just for the hell of it . i thought chris hoy/s seat stays/seat tube anchorage were different but now i realise they are old hat... but still elegant..... dawes galaxy i thought about ..but now im open minded .. must check out hilary stones stuff again .thanks.. as for steel rims well they must be period correct... and you don t buy a morris minor and say where s the abs and power stearing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

oonaff wrote:
hi , how do you find the power generated by that dynamo ! bit naf , mine was, that whiring noise down hill in the wet was fun. but have you found some good modern bulbs to go with them . i d really love to have a tourer with a dynamo front hub... just for the hell of it . i thought chris hoy/s seat stays/seat tube anchorage were different but now i realise they are old hat... but still elegant..... dawes galaxy i thought about ..but now im open minded .. must check out hilary stones stuff again .thanks.. as for steel rims well they must be period correct... and you don t buy a morris minor and say where s the abs and power stearing!

The green Corsa is fine - I back it up with LEDs though, its a 6v affair.

The mauve one has a 12v miller model, Ok but quite a drag on the rear wheel so not used much!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:46 pm 
Retro Guru

still look good no matter where i see these 2 mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

Given my Constellation from 1958 a bit of clean, lube and a new front tube today. Fitted a new NOS Ever Read rear light as well. For those that have not seen this machine it has an all-chrome 531 frame with Lindrick lugs and measures 23" from top of seat tube to centre of BB. One of my most cherished rides...

Imagea