Graham Weigh Winter Bike

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
As some are well aware, I decided to build a bike to save my 853 Kowal from the winter roads. I needed to buy a frame but, my rules were to use as many parts as I could that I already owned. All the rest I bought from here apart from tyres, cages and bar tape.
Parts I had included wheels with tubular rims from Daj that I bought on a whim at a ride. So, I had to learn how to attach the tyres to the rims. Here's the parts list:

Frame: Graham Weigh 531
Fork: Graham Weigh 531

Headset: Shimano 105
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebar:Cinelli Criterium
Bar Tape: BBB Wrapped by me!!

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105 Aero
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105 nutted attachment
Brake Pads: I've forgotten already. Modern cartridge type. Very good.
Brake Cables: Ones I had lying around.

Shifters: Downtube Huret friction
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 braze on
Rear Derailleur: Mavic
Derailleur Cables: See Brake cables
Cassette: Campagnolo 13-26 eight probably Veloce
Chain: Shimano 8 speed.
Cranks: Shimano 600 Tricolour
Chainrings: 38/53
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52
Pedals: Time
Rims: Mavic GP4
Hubs: Unknown Campagnolo, probably Veloce?
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Nipples: Two
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Continental Giro
Tubes: N. A.

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbomatic II
Seatpost: Shimano 600 Aero
Seatpost Binder: It is a bolt

Bottle Cage: BBB
Extras:

Things still to do? I may try to find a slightly longer stem. Despite the seat tube being 2cm larger, the top tube is the same length (a smidge shorter actually) as my Kowal. With this stem it feels a bit short.
I am going to change the big ring. I want to try a 50 tooth ring to encourage me to spend a little more time in the big ring.
I need to spray one of the seatstays. I have the paint all ready to go but am waiting for the temperature to rise a little!

Thanks to: RooKilo, Daj, Pino, Foz, wallonie11, will911 and anyone else who supplied me with retro goodness!

Attachments

• Weigh Cranks.JPG
    Weigh Cranks.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Weigh Mavic.JPG
    Weigh Mavic.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Weigh Saddle Post.JPG
    Weigh Saddle Post.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Weigh Side.JPG
    Weigh Side.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 533
A winter bike with tubs, Mavic rear mech and no mudguards? Brave man!

Look good though and can see that a slightly longer stem would give it an even more pleasing silhouette.

Thanks Ed. I went for a ride yesterday in the wet and cold. I don't think it has seen any road conditions other than wet/snow/ice and cold.

I like the wheels/tyres combo. Yesterday I hit a hole in the road. I say hole, it may have been a collapsed mine shaft. I didn't see it as the puddle (lake) hiding it stretched right across the road and my legendary bad luck made me hit it.

The hit was severe enough to loosen the hub bearings and twist the bars around. They may even have fubared themselves, I will look in a while.

No pinch flat though. I will like the tyres right up until the moment a thorn gets them!

Back