PDM Concorde Aquila

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
A PDM Concorde has been on my wishlist for 23 years now and after a tip off from Neil M :) I picked this up last night. It was posted as a Squadra but is actually an Aquila. I'm trying to find the differences but as far as I can tell the Squadra had more pantographing and possibly Campagnolo dropouts. The more I dig though the less clear it becomes, later Aquilas seem to have more detailing than Squadras. Both though were top flight Concordes and its still Columbus SLX tubing. But I think the Squadra was generally the higher end bike. I've a few plans but its quite refreshing to have something decent to work with rather than a full nut and bolt project. Initially I want to get some lever hoods and crank caps, swap the post and saddle, re tape the bars and fit some new tyres. I'll try to get some better pics if this weather changes and when I get some of the stuff I want to swap.

8431823129_420409bb0e_b.jpg

8431820225_23dce3dbcc_b.jpg

8432908714_604f028f03_b.jpg

8431431922_c682c07f49_b.jpg

Even though I've always wanted a PDM Concorde my knowledge is rather poor, anyone with any info or pics on Concordes or PDM please chime in.

Love the looks on your Squadra. Really cool decor, very nice equipped. I also own a Concorde Gavina frame in Columbus SL from the late 80´s, probably 1989. I love the frame, awsome finishing, very light, a really superb ride. At the moment I converted it in a fixed gear bike. As far as I know, Concordes with the Italian flag on the side were made on Ciocc´s factory in Italy. In the future I may fit mine with a Campy groupset. Here is a crappy pic.

SAM_3725_zps78f2e0e6.jpg

Very nice bike, Kaiser.

On my Squadra I can say it could very well be it has SL tubing. I read 'SL' under the bottom bracket and maybe that denotes the tubing used. That shell is a Cinelli spoiler example btw. Dropouts probably Campagnolo 1010B, but I don't remember exactly. There are bird engravings on top crown, in head lugs, on brake bridge (2x) and a 'Concorde' engraving on top the shell. Like your frame it shows the Italian flag braze on on the top tube. My frame has the white to antracite PDM paint and I put that earlier.

Oh that does look nice. Lucky for you it was in your neck of the woods and not mine, or the first you would have know would have been when I posted pictures.

Trying to find out about Concorde bikes is really like trying to pin down fog. I have almost no idea where my Astore frame was made, although I have seen a Basso frame of around the same age and there are many similarities. You will also spot when looking at models with the same name that there are differences all over the place and I assume this was a change of features or manufacturer depending on the year.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for some dry weather, as I have finally found some pedals for my Astore and as soon as they arrive I want to give it a proper try out.

Gratuitous picture, just because I like the bike.

DSC_0225-1_zpscecc8628.jpg

Oh and I now have a Stars and Stripes jersey and gilet... yeeehaaaarrrrrr

EDIT: I meant to say that I have a USE Alien seat post in silver on the Astore now, as the Miche one fitted in the photos was a little.... weighty. Alien posts can be found in the USE factory shop (on-line) for £40.

Another pic of my Gavina from the time she was fitted wit a Shimano EX 500 groupset. A modest one, but never failed me. The bike was always under 10Kg, actual "fixed" stage made her even skinnier, 8,800Kg.

sam2833a.jpg

Please do update your topic, always nice to see these beauties.

Back