Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:48 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Giant TCR Team Once
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Made some mods to my Giant. I decided to try a riser handlebar, and I really liked the result. Great improvement on confort, great fun to ride. Deore levers and shifters are not as precise as the road 105 brifters, but they do the job. I have also changed the saddle, really crazy about these 2013 Flite Team Edition.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:06 am 
Retro Guru

migueltreze wrote:
I am not a very experienced road cyclist, I only have two bikes in present time, and I am not a big "conoisseur" of brands, frames and so on

For an inexperienced roadie you had the bike really nicely set-up at this point. It's a great looking frame - just how compact should look.
There's a balance between form and function with equipment choices; unless your bike is intended for a very specific purpose that calls for close consideration to function (say, time trialing) you can afford to be interested in how the bike looks - after all, this is a road bike, and road bikes should be beautiful.
For what its worth, I'd go back to those well set-up drops, black tape and the colour-matched Giant forks. Risers might be an interesting experiment but they won't be any good over any sort of distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:10 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Yup it looked sweet in that pic .. I would keep the new saddle and put a nice inline post on there and it's a winner ;)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 am 
Dirt Disciple

i-am-iron-man wrote:
For an inexperienced roadie you had the bike really nicely set-up at this point. It's a great looking frame - just how compact should look.
There's a balance between form and function with equipment choices; unless your bike is intended for a very specific purpose that calls for close consideration to function (say, time trialing) you can afford to be interested in how the bike looks - after all, this is a road bike, and road bikes should be beautiful.
For what its worth, I'd go back to those well set-up drops, black tape and the colour-matched Giant forks. Risers might be an interesting experiment but they won't be any good over any sort of distance.

I tend to change my bikes mods every now and then, this latest one aimed mainly at confort. Since this is my daily ride in short distances, I wanted to try a diferent handling position. I am quite satisfied with it, but yes, I do agree with you, the bike had a really nice set up in its first stage. Maybe the next step is to give her dropbars again. Many thanks for the comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Too much work went into this bike too leave it with the flat bars, it deserves to be returned to its drop bar glory with the original forks. I have also experimented with flat bars on a TCR in the past and they work well for a fast commuter style bike but you'd be better to get an old used TCR frame and stick the aksiums and other cheaper parts on that if it's for a daily ride. You made such a nice job with the paint and Ultegra wheels etc it's a pity to waste that effort. Either way as long as you enjoy it is whats important but just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Plus one wrote:
Yup it looked sweet in that pic .. I would keep the new saddle and put a nice inline post on there and it's a winner ;)

Hey Col, did you ever finish your black TCR a few months back? mine have all gone backwards into boxes whilst we're moving house... getting a shed in the new house though, exciting stuff :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm 

riddim-track wrote:
Plus one wrote:

Hey Col, did you ever finish your black TCR a few months back? mine have all gone backwards into boxes whilst we're moving house... getting a shed in the new house though, exciting stuff :D

Yes she turned out well and clocking up the miles :)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249849&start=15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 pm 

great work and superbly documented.
Must say that it has given me a fresh perspective on a TCR that I once 'had' to buy and has been hanging on my wall.
It is a 1998 ONCE according to the original owner and went out on only 2 rides.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Plus one wrote:
riddim-track wrote:

Such a cool TCR :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:54 pm 

migueltreze wrote:
Plus one wrote:
riddim-track wrote:

Such a cool TCR :)

Cheers :)

I must say I'm really liking your 2013 flite saddle .. Would look ace on my Sunday best Tcr ... Until i seen the price :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next