F E Dunning. A classy Willesden gentleman builder.

viscount

Old School Hero
Here is my F E Dunning. 1955 rare Classic lightweight in original condition.

DSCN1158_zpsda978658.jpg

Four speed Sturmey Archer FM, Williams chainset, GB Maes bars, Presto stem, Phillips Philite pedals, early GB brake set, Nervex lugs, lovely 'art deco' lining, original chromed ends, plus Brookes saddle, of course!: )

Built by 'Pop' Dunning, from Church Road, Willesden, who built some frames for entrants at the 1948 Olympics. Not as well known as he should be, but deserving recognition I say.

Willesden CC currently has a Dunning Cup for the best 25mile TT member, donated by Pop Dunning so many years ago.

More pics on Classic Lightweights here:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... er-rb.html

Some more here on my own little site:
http://bicyclz.com/f-e-dunning/
(The link now works OK: )

This one is in regular use by me, as you can see here!
The bag is probably full of beer!
Cheers all; )

Thanks for the compliments all, I thought it might be appreciated here: )

Herewith some more pics.

There is very little information about this particular maker on the web and I've not seen another example pictured, yet this one is all original except for the pedals and tyres I believe. It came with a Webb on the drive side and a Phillips Philite on the other. I just happened to have a drive side Philite in my parts box. (The Leotards are temporary) The original guards are cream Phoenix Ivorettes, but I thought I try the green Bluemels Club Specials pictured previously.
FEDcleanfrontallLR_zps32e401f5.jpg

The lining is particularly attractive to my eye. Echoes of Art Deco?
FEDcleanBBfromaboveLR_zpsc107e362.jpg

Sturmey FM is your typical 50s tourers choice, and this bike has toured Norway a few times with it's previous owner I believe.
FEDcleanrearendLR_zpsda2331ac.jpg

(I have now figured out how to show the photos here!)

Robbied I love your Dunelt: ) I know little about them but yours is classy example. I'll have a closer look later. BTW some of the bikes on my site are with new owners.... I keep finding new attractions and can't physically store all of them in my bedroom. (Hint; )

Spokesman I have a little Q for you re Carltons if you'd be so kind, not quite sure if I can PM you yet, but I've seen your machines on your site a few times: ) The Mamods take me back to my childhood....

I like it! The pinstriping is great - it would probably cost a fortune to get the same thing done today!

Been experimenting with this old girl..... Came originally with an FM but I never got it working properly in all four gears. So I try a five speed RD.

Trying 27" wheels here. They are a nice pair of late 50s Milremo alloys with tied & soldered spokes on wide flange Normandy hubs.
Being late 50s they suit in all ways, except mudguard clearances....

Remember this bike came with 26 x 1 1/4" rims originally, so 27" is at the limit. Guards will need some serious butchering, but possible I say: )
A dry weather touring bike has unwanted limitations, but it's much fun to ride as seen!

Has Cinelli bars/stem here with Campag Athena aero levers, so not pretending to be period, just a usable machine with brakes that work as well as possible.

Retromods are the safe, enjoyable way with vintage frames I say: )
They get used & better enjoyed that way.

See what I mean about clearances? (Even less at the front!)
The rear brake pad needs raising a little here.

Nice to experiment though: )

Looks great with the bigger wheels but it feels like it's lost a bit of its old-timey charm. I think it's just a set of older-style tyres and older brake levers away though. Those aero levers look out of place!

Back