is this fixable?

swinger76

Dirt Disciple
just won this on ebay kinda got carried away on bidding war lol won it for £68 Including p+p wanted it for parts transfer for my other frame link to my other frame

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Question tho it has a crack on the rear drop out just b4 the rear mech holding can this be repairable or is it a total loss?
this is the frame all complate apart from wheels
t2ec16jw0e9sznw19bqzcvk.jpg

Should be able to file a V in the crack and weld it. It's not right on the braze so the weld will not put too much heat in to affect it. Dropouts are carbon steel, I think, so if I did it I'd be inclined to MIG it with CO2 so you get a slightly harder weld than with Argoshield.

I bid on that. Nice frame and some good parts.

I thought it was fixable, worst case scenario argos will repair or replace the drop out. But it's costly.

I would second TIGing it.

Glad that you're not binning the frame.

just got the frame yesterday good news spoke to a friend of mine who has a mechanic place hes looked at it and said yes he can do it so just wanting for a knock on the door for when he can do it after looking at the two frames this one is hands down for riding so i have stripped it down and cleaning the parts.

has Shimano 105 brake levers
Look pedals tryed them with my SPD SL shoes perfect fit
Saches front mech
Vintage 105 Brake calipers
Shimano 600 Rear mech
Saches downtube gear levers
Shimano 105 Crankset looks vintage
WTB saddle (looks newer then the frame?)
Cinelli Eubios handlebars

bottom bracket is sound so least thing to worry about yet to find some decent wheels for it cant wait to ride it :)

omg just had it mig welded for £10

now to find some wheels will post a pic when finished aiming to get it done within a few weeks watch this space.

swinger76":20zdfpf8 said:
omg just had it mig welded for £10

now to find some wheels will post a pic when finished aiming to get it done within a few weeks watch this space.
Why you no risten cookie boy?
If that was mine,I would cut out the MIG weld & do it properly with a tig.The thing has broken once,a mig weld is a lot more brittle than tig welding,so it will break again.
Quick aside,you can teach a Monkey to mig weld in ten minutes,so a guy with a mig torch isnt neccessasarily (spelling) a welder.

Latest posts

Back