Identification help: Not particularly nice or retro

A

Anonymous

Picked this up today from ebay and was wondering if anyone could tell me much about it, particularly the year.

I have no idea on year other than i'm guess it's not that old.

I also guess this is some sort of sjscycles 'own brand' type entry level quality frame?

The person who sold it to me said he had called sjscyles and heales cycles who both have stickers on the frame but got no info.

it has braze on downtube shifter bosses, an internally routed brake cable and rack rounts.

Sorry that it's not that nice!

the number on the bottom bracket is P60423023

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 503
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 503
Nice

Thats a nice frame, dont be so down on it. Its in good condition regardless of age and Tange DB is no rubbish tube set either.
Should build into a nice ride. Whats the plan for it.
Jamie

Well I was given a raleigh clubman frame (531 main tubes) by a friends dad which I have been collecting parts for (and trying to use up my parts bin) I was planning to build it up for fairly lightweight touring in the summer. (Got a nice new-ish b17 for it) Was going to run on 700c as I have a wheelset. Now I'm thinking that this could be more suitable! And I'm not very keen on cold setting so it would save doing that to the poor clubman, once all the parts are in I'll have to decide.

Don't get me wrong on this as I am a fan of Raleigh bikes but this looks a cut above a Clubman frame with some nice features, and if it is a full Tange DB frame will ride better too. I know SJSC make their own frames, but I am also of the opinion they buy bankrupt stock and re-badge it too but don't quote me on that ;) :LOL:

Well this is nice that I've underestimated it rather than overestimated it. I think will build it up instead of the raleigh.

These frames were sold directly by St Johns Street Cycles. They did 2 versions, the blue one for normal brakes and a yellow one for canti's. I had a yellow one which I bought in 1999 as a designated winter bike. I'd previously used an old Raleigh race frame but it was a bit too tight for mudguards. And I'd managed to wear through the rivit on the front mudguard whilst going down hill- ended up bouncing on my head after going over the bars!

the SJSC frames were ok to ride but really heavy compared to say a 531 frame or the aluminium ones that were appearing about that time.

Back