Pinarello Asolo 1996-Updated with pics on 2nd page 5/7/13

91lavadome

Old School Hero
main.php

Bought this a few months ago of ebay to keep my fitness up over winter without getting muddy! I believe its a 1996 Pinarello Asolo made from Dedacciai dolmen tubes with a full Shimano 600 groupset. I've included a shot of the frame number so if anyone knows the exact year that'd be good.

Since buying it somehow I've been roped into doing L'etape so I was thinking I'd have to sell it and get something "proper" However having ridden it for 500 odd miles it is
very comfortable
perfect size
handles beautifully
so now thinking I might 10 speed it and ride it in L'etape! Question is do I do the right thing and get a nice silver campag gruppo (probably 10 speed veloce) or stick with shimano which I prefer! The Ultegra SL levers grey seems to be the same grey as on the 600 so they would be an obvious match. Compact shimano chainset aint gonna look too nice on it though, certainly not as nice a campag.
If I do keep it I'm gonna have to get mudguards on it and use it to train as well :shock: -but bikes are for riding right.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

That's a nice bit of Italian steel you've got.

I'd ride the etape with the gears / kit you've got there. I've ridden most of the 2013 route at various times on a 1990 Trek with a standard chainset and 11-23 block on the back as my wife's relatives used to live in the area.

When we go back to the alps we still tend to gravitate to the Massif des Bauges which is the mountain range the etape's being run over as it is absolutely stunning and very undiscovered.

Apart from the last hill the climbs are not too horrendous (the last one is a bugger though !).

If you do decide to restomod your bike - the Veloce gruppo is a very good option if you can't stretch to Athena. I've got it on my Cinelli.

Yeah the last hill could be intense. Got some 600 brifters so might put them on for starters-the downtube shifters work perfectly but the less looking down, fumbling 1 handed I do in the company of 10000 other riders the better.

also got one of these which might look ok(mines debadged itself which is a result!). Pretty keen to go compact though.

CR309B03.jpg

Obviously with it being an italian stallion having shimano on it just looks and feels wrong but if I went campy I'd need new wheels, new tools etc. Veloce can be had for an ok price but is it any good? Athena 11 speed is out of my budget.

vivelesalpes":sboib0vu said:
Yes, Veloce's fine. I prefer it to the 2012 105 Gruppo I've got on my Tricross winter / cx bike as it seems to work a lot nicer.

Ambrosio make a 10 speed cassette that fits Shimano hubs that has Campagnolo spacing: http://www.probikekit.com/uk/ambros...gle_base_gbp&gclid=CMOJ752orLQCFW_KtAodxwEAJw

That casette adaptor raises interesting possibilities. There's nothing wrong with the 600 on the bike and I prefer the fatter shimano hoods but it feels sacrilegious to have shimano on the Italian stallion. Arrrrgh this was supposed to be a budget bike now I've convinced myself I need a campy gruppo!

Veloce is what I use. It is lighter than a 6700 ultegra groupset and alot cheaper. Athena is the same standard as Centaur but 11 speed.

go with veloce it a good groupset.

My Cinelli was like that. It was meant to be having the old Shimano groupset off my Tricross and the same bikes old wheels. (I was building it because that's what I enjoy doing besides riding).

I got the frame and thought it would be sacrilegious to put a Jap gruppo on an Italian bike. £500+ later I've gone full Italian including a nice pair of Campagnolo wheels, Cinelli stem, Miche seatpost and Deda bars.

The old Shimano groupset's still sitting in my garage waiting for a future project.

And I wonder why I'm permanently broke !

bm0p700f":2ds5y5nx said:
Veloce is what I use. It is lighter than a 6700 ultegra groupset and alot cheaper. Athena is the same standard as Centaur but 11 speed.

go with veloce it a good groupset.

IMHO Modern Campagnolo equipment is also a lot nicer to look at than Shimano. (A shame SRAM don't do stuff with a natural finish as their chainsets have a nice shape to them too !)

Back