1979 Carlton Professional restoration thread

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
OK, first proper restoration begins!

I picked up what turns out to be a very nice Carlton Professional last weekend. This site has already been very useful in model identification and I found another site with the model numbers on which tells me this was built in Worksop in June 1979.

The Professional was sold as a frame set only and I believe the Shimano Arabesque 600 groupset to be original as it dates from the correct time. Also has a Campag headset that appears very nice and Mavic wheels. The brakes are not period I believe, so will try to get a pair of Arabesque. I’ll post full details of all components when I have itemised them.

Here she is as I picked her up.

CIMG7533.jpg

Here half stripped and looking good already…

CIMG7564.jpg

And here are the parts!

CIMG7576.jpg

CIMG7577.jpg

CIMG7575.jpg

CIMG7570.jpg

CIMG7572.jpg

No major concerns have come to light other than the rear mech is very loose (the plastic barrel bit is split) but sourcing a new one.

The plan is to keep it as original as possible with the exception of the colour. This frame only came in silver and that just does not do it for me, so I plan to have it professionally painted, probably in dark green or burgundy, and then an original sticker set applied.

I’ll try to keep this thread updated as the restoration progresses.

OK, first question.

The BB is shot I think. I haven't had it out and cleaned it yet, but if I do need a new one does anyone know the thread size and type?

Cheers in advance!

As Ian says, the size and thread should be stamped on the non-drive side cup (NDS).

If it is says 24tpi then it is english/british thread, if it says 26tpi then it is Raleigh.

As it is a '79 chances are it is a Raleigh thread (unless specifically made with British threads for a customer). Your options if it is Raleigh threaded are:
1) just replace the axle and hope that takes up any play.
2) If the cups are shot, replace the cups (if you can find any)
3) ditto, then have the BB shell re-tapped to 34tpi
4) If that doesn't work (and it doesn't always), have BB replaced, which would mean a respray.

IIRC higher end Carltons had standard british BB cups..........just out of curiosity what does it say on the BB?

Shaun

It actually says;

1.37 24T (52) FH on the right side
1.37 24T (52 HG on the left side

So a British thread I think?

The good news is that having given it a good clean with WD40 it has freed up completely and seems fine now. :D

Hurrah!

Captain Vimes":125c0e1l said:
It actually says;

The good news is that having given it a good clean with WD40 it has freed up completely and seems fine now. :D

Hurrah!

Yup, British thread, you have fallen lucky there!

Now you have cleaned it with WD40, re-grease it (but you knew that anyway, didn't you? :) )

tiermat":3us6ir9e said:
Captain Vimes":3us6ir9e said:
It actually says;

Hurrah!

Yup, British thread, you have fallen lucky there!

Now you have cleaned it with WD40, re-grease it (but you knew that anyway, didn't you? :) )

Of course! :shock: ;)

Also managed to get a rear mech in very cood condition today and have bought new gear\brake cables and chain, so only need arabesque brake levers and some suitable pedals now!

Better get on with cleaning/polishing the parts...

Back