Viscount Sport

sooper8

Dirt Disciple
Just thought I'd post up a picture. I went out for an hour or so today and took a few pics.
All I will say about the bike is that it has the best handling of any bike I have ridden (except another Viscount I had way back). Just a pure joy to ride!

IMG_2832 by Sooper 8, on Flickr

IMG_2834 by Sooper 8, on Flickr

Never thought I would see one of these on the road again

Hi, Just seen your post. Was thinking of doing something with my old bike. Its a blue viscount aerospace sport 24" frame. supplied by Trustee of Potters Bar. I bought it 2nd hand when I was 16 in '79. I have had it hanging in one shed or another since the mid eighties. Between 79 and 84 I did thousands of miles on this bike. I knew it was good, fast and light, but I never had any money and didn't maintain it. Shame, I am now full of nostalgia looking at your bike. I hope you don't mind me asking, how much time and money went into restoring it and was it in good condition to start? Mine will need new head bearing, pedals and the brakes pull from the side not central, so the rear brakes always rubbed after using them. Back then I was young and stupid and simply put my hand down and pulled it away from the wheel at speed.
Cheers,
Jon

Jon,

Similar experience to yourself really. Bought a Viscount model called 'Indy 500' back in '79 or '80 when I was 13 or 14 rode it almost everyday and did 1000's of miles up until I was 18 or or so. I loved that bike.
Had no money to maintain it and it eventually died.

Fast forward to this year and my 18 yr old son picked up a lightweight vintage bike off eBay. It was a pretty fine example of an Viscount Aerospace Pro but hedidn't know it at the time time of buying.
I had a ride on it and instantly wanted one, even though I am perfectly happy with the Dawes that I ride. It was that nostalgia thing you mention.
Anyway, couldn't find a 'Pro but found a few other Viscounts.

Picked up a beaten up blue 'Sport (with no wheels ) that I am in the process of doing up (my only expenditure so far is for Plusgas). I picked the frame up for peanuts on eBay.

Then I found my wife a mixte Sebring which is a joy to ride.

Then I found that red Sport in the pics for very little money and it was in that condition when I bought it. Every single component was original. Even the tyres. It just need a clean up and it will be perfect.

There is a huge thread on Viscount over on CTC where you will get loads of useful info about Viscount and the little tips you'll need for restoring one (all quirkiness of the BB for example)
There are some very knowledgeable experts over there will help you , but feel free to drop me a line if I can be of help.

Here's a link to my Flickr with pics of all the above bikes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21449750@N00/sets/

Cheers
Jem

Back