It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:48 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

bikenut2010 wrote:
DONT use T cut scratch remover which is more aggressive,

Oh god my mate used some of that stuff on his Vectra car and he didn't realise it was taking the laquer off his door and made a real mess of it :oops:

Remember that many old frames are painted in Enamel which is then baked which is like glass and is really hardy and can 'take it' when polishing the paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Ian Raleigh wrote:
bikenut2010 wrote:
DONT use T cut scratch remover which is more aggressive,

Oh god my mate used some of that stuff on his Vectra car and he didn't realise it was taking the laquer off his door and made a real mess of it :oops:

Remember that many old frames are painted in Enamel which is then baked which is like glass and is really hardy and can 'take it' when polishing the paint.

gawd :( was it a metallic? they do a special t Cut for metallics which are clear over base 2 pack...

good place to start is the underside of the BB, that way any probe will be out of sight, I've also used 2000 and soap applied with LOTS of water and wiped off after each pass to examine paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

top advice chaps, Im about to restore an old Claud Butler for a friend and it has an old 3 arm campag sport chromed chainset on it with rust , I'll try the aluminium foil in vinegar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

bikenut2010 wrote:
gawd :( was it a metallic? they do a special t Cut for metallics which are clear over base 2 pack...

good place to start is the underside of the BB, that way any probe will be out of sight, I've also used 2000 and soap applied with LOTS of water and wiped off after each pass to examine paint.

Sure was! Even after he sprayed a layer of rattle can laquer you could still see the damage, shows what can happen when you are not watching what you are doing.

I used a really really fine grade paper on my blue Motobecane then t-cutted then a final waxing of this stuff... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165527

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Doubledee wrote:
top advice chaps, Im about to restore an old Claud Butler for a friend and it has an old 3 arm campag sport chromed chainset on it with rust , I'll try the aluminium foil in vinegar.

ah! I found a bike with one of those cranksets, rare as rocking horse poo , polished with alu foil as seen in pic and sold the crank for 100 squid a collector in Taiwan and used the money to pay for the restoration :) result!

Here is the before and after on repairing the delivery scratches on the Rossin, not perfect but perfectly OK to get the cosmetics acceptable I r'kn.

Looking forward to see how the Gios shapes up, lovely iconic frame in the right colour :)

Attachments:
after.jpg
after.jpg [ 193.98 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]
before.jpg
before.jpg [ 143.35 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]
before.jpg
before.jpg [ 143.35 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]
campy3arm.jpg
campy3arm.jpg [ 167.43 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:42 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Yep that's the one ,won't be mine I'm afraid as I'm doing it for a friend. Do you rub the cranks with the foil?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Doubledee wrote:
Yep that's the one ,won't be mine I'm afraid as I'm doing it for a friend. Do you rub the cranks with the foil?

Yep, foil with vinegar on the rust...if the rust is bad you can also use a copper wool scouring pad :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:27 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

ok thats me for now, sounds like I'll be delaminating my hands again soon, cant wait!

Post subject: Re: Gios
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:24 pm 
Old School Hero

All pretty much done now. A few things I 'could' do to it, but can't be bothered - I'm riding it!! DoubleDee was kind enough to through me a few bits to complete it. Gears work a treat (a first for my mechanical experiences with Campag...). It needs some better blocks as I couldn't toe them in very well at all, but they stop me, for now. I might have a crack at sorting some of the chips out, but I actually think it gives the frame a bit of character. Let me know what you think...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 pm 
Retro Guru

use a touch in primer first on the chipped areas, a few small coats and flat between when dry with small strips of 800 grit glued onto coffee stirrers :) then add the colour in the same way until the thickness is built up to the level of surrounding paint. Then 1200 and soap for final polish, add some clear coat and 1200 and soap when well dry ( 48 hrs) then T cut and wax...ker-ching...