Sid Mottram 1950/60

predki

Retro Guru
This is my current project: Sid Mottram dated late 50's - early 60's. Frame made of Reynolds 531 DB (22 1/2" or 57cm) with Nervex Professional lugs.
I already gathered all the parts I need:
Campagnolo Record 1st gen :D derailleurs, Campy Record shifters, seatpost, bottom bracket and headset as well, Universal mod 61 brakes, Fiamme handlebar and Fiamme stem from my other bike. Brooks swallow saddle.
Wheels: Fiamme red label sprints on Campagnolo Record large flange hubs, 32/40, flat skewers.

But.... building it is really hard because of some obstacles... For now I built the wheels and I'm stuck.

I have crank (Campagnolo Record, pre 1972) with not standard threading, trying normal puller (22) it is completely loose, trying Stronglight (23.35) is too big. Strangely threads do not look stripped. It has damaged back from previous owner forcing removal. I won't be able to remove it once fitted. So before fitting I need to make a bespoke extractor. Fortunately I have this possibility, but it will take some time

Another thing is that somebody cut the steerer tube and headset that I bought for this frame (Campagnolo Record strada) is only engaging only one or two turns (without any spacer) so or I need pista or gran sport or change the steerer tube...

The saddle has ripped one of the front rivet holes and had badly rusted rails. I've found replacement rails, but I need to rebuild it completely.

But I'm sure after all this will be an awesome bike! I already love it even with all the problems.

More pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1005210978 ... directlink

main.php

To get the crank off you need one of these widely availble tools:

31l4KD9K2LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you're okay to go with something just to get you on the road then a tange passage headset has a very low stack height or I have a steel headset that would look the part (think its Japanese too though) I could sell for not too much money.

I too look forward to seeing this one complete!

With regards the crank, you might have some luck with a TA puller. I believe those are 23mm. I've been after one for awhile. Alternativley, you could get a duel-sided one (22mm + 23mm) from 'Var'. Spacycles stock them at £20ish.

Where did you get that puller from Tel? I have a stripped crank that might be in need of one of them.

Phil

I'm having bespoke extractor done in few weeks for free (if everything will go ok) so I'll wait for it. But thanks for advice - bearings puller could do the job, I may actually need it in the end.. Did you actually use it to remove a crank?

Headset: I prefer to keep this bike fully Campagnolo Record and Italian, so Tange or any other is really last option, The best would be Campagnolo Pista. I will try to find one somewhere at reasonable price. Tange is very similar, but I would feel that I'm doing something wrong fitting a Japanese part...
But firstly I will try other thing. The fork crown race could be lowered a little bit by reaming steerer tube at the the place it joins crown. More, I will use smaller bearings - 5/32. Maybe that will be enough.

When I bought this frame I had an image of how the bike should be built and I know it will be really nice :D Now I'm trying to achieve it.

Piotr.

I've used one of those bearing pullers on cranks a few times and they are OK as long as you are careful. In fact it's the only way I've ever removed my TA cranks because I'm too mean to buy the proper extractor!

This should be a great looking bike when you've finished.

Mark.

predki":16rzpyrv said:
Did you actually use it to remove a crank?

Yes many times, it's my fail safe. Removes the crank without causing any damage so providing you have one you can still use chainsets with dodgy threads.

Completely understand about the headset. I recall one guy on here shaving some millimetres of his headtube to gain the extra length required.

Good luck with the search and build.

Thanks! here are some photos of the parts:

1st gen derailleurs, front:

main.php

Still original grease I think. Except of few spots of chrome lose on rear and small abrasion of front cage they are excellent and work perfectly. They came to me very clean. Spring still can cut fingers off if you are not careful enough. You don't see anything made of that quality these days...

and back:

main.php

and the handlebar:

main.php

Few busy days and the project moved forward an another step. I solved the problem with seatpost and headset, I was at Oak Cycles (London bespoke frame builders and cycle mechanics, nice guys btw, I can recommend them) and the frame was reamed so now seatpost moves freely (before it was stuck after inserting a few cm) and headset crown race sits where it should.
Most of the parts have been polished, and are ready to be fitted. In general, I would say that half's done.
What's left:
-to polish rest of the parts,
-the saddle to fix - there's a crack by one of the front rivets, so I'm going to glue a piece of leather underneath and stitch around and re-rivet it,
-handlebar - I'm going to make bespoke Almarc-like leather cover, hope it will look good, if not I have Benotto or cloth tape as Plan B. But I think it should be fine,
-cables,
-glue the tyres.
Hope it will be finished before next weekend :D
Some more photos:
main.php

main.php

main.php
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Back