F.W. Evans 1950/60

predki

Retro Guru
That's my F.W. Evans

main.php

More pictures from the moment I got it: https://picasaweb.google.com/100521097855449094739/FWEvansClubman?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Frame: steel lugged (Nervex Legere) F.W. Evans, probably Reynolds 531, frame number: 344, size: 23.5" or 60cm ctt

Fork: steel, with matching 344 number

Headset: TDC Prima
Stem: Fiamme
Handlebar: Holdsworthy "Il Primo - Giro di Sicilia"
Bar Tape: Black rubber with white stitching

Brake Levers/Brifters: Mafac course 121 with half hoods
Brake Calipers: Mafac Racer stamped "Dural Forge" with red plastic washers
Brake Pads: Koolstop contemporary replacement pads
Brake Cables: Generic steel

Shifters: Simplex Super LJ retro-friction
Front Derailleur: Simplex Super LJ
Rear Derailleur: Simplex Super LJ 5500
Derailleur Cables: Generic steel with stainless steel outers
Freewheel: Atom 66 (14-24)
Chain: Sedis Sport
Cranks: Stronglight D49 (late, with Marque stamping), 170mm
Chainrings: Stronglight 52/45
Bottom Bracket: Stronglight 120 with Campagnolo Record cups
Pedals: Lyotard Berthet MB23 with Christophe toe clips and black straps

Rims: Weinmann Alesa 26x1 1/4
Hubs: Campagnolo Record
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Record
Nipples: Sapim (contemporary)
Spokes: Sapim Race DB (contemporary)
Tyres: Kenda 26x1 1/4 (contemporary)
Tubes: Continental (contemporary)

Saddle: Bristol Swallow
Seatpost: Simplex Super LJ, 26.4
Seatpost Binder: Steel, original

Bottle Cage: -
Extras: Weinmann stainless steel short mudguards "Inoxydable"

Weight: about 12 kg

Very classy - nice job you've done on that.

Do you know what the 3 big braze-on loops on the top of the down tube are for?

Mark.

Thanks!

I have no idea, bottle cage mount? But loops are not the best choice for mounting.
This frame has one more strange (could say comlpetely mysterious for me) loop, on the right hand side of the down tube, just by the headtube. You can see it on the photo with gears levers.
It has mounts for rack (made of ordinary bolts nuts), there are very high, so it's more like saddle bag support. One day I'm going to make a small rack to fit this frame.
As for F.W. Evans it has some not ordinary features like serial number is stamped on bottom bracket shell (and the same number on steerer tube), not near the seat lug and it's very low number: 344 (strange because Evans started numbering with 1000+ I think). There's oil port in the bb, but not usual small one on the top, but quite big on the bottom.
It has Evans "Silver Plaque" dropouts. I think it was design as single/fixed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Piotr

I assumed the loop near the head tube was a cable guide for a bar-end rear gear lever but it seems too big and you'd have to run outer cable all the way to the chain stay.

Perhaps there have been some DIY additions to the braze-ons at some point.

Mark.

All the brazeons seemed to have original paint on them. So that's very unlikely that they were added later. But who knows... All the braze-on have this "crude" style (rear brake cable guides are the same - plain loops under top tube) and nuts for the rack. I really like this frame because of it :)
That's true that the brazeon on downtube may have been placed to guide the barcon cable.
Is there any source of information on brazeons history?

Piotr

Re:

There are some major changes to the bike... So I was using the bike as my commuter for some time and one day I had an accident. The guy parked who stopped a car on the bus stop opened door just in front of my face when I was passing by... Luckily I wasn't harmed a lot, but the bike had 2 tubes dented where it hit the car's door. I sent it for repair and repaint, since then it was in storage until I started slowly rebuild it and convert to single speed. Changes: There's single speed Bayliss-Wiley freewheel, GB stem, Dawes Concorde dropbar, Gnutti steel crank and Selle Ideale 80 Type Record saddle. Weinmann shorties will go soon and I'm going to fit full mudguards when I'll find appropriate set. New photos:

P1010783.JPG

P1010765.JPG

P1010792.JPG

P1010768.JPG

P1010769.JPG

P1010770.JPG

P1010775.JPG

P1010777.JPG

P1010778.JPG

P1010784.JPG

That's lovely. My current 50's road/track project is shaping up along very similar lines, down to the Berthet pedals and Mafac half-hoods on Concorde bars..

Back