1989 Raleigh Lightweight 531C

Penfold6290

rBotM Winner
Hi folks, I have just joined as I found the forum via a Google search for some info on my classic road bike. As a kid, like so many others, most of my bikes growing up were made by Raleigh, I had a Raleigh Pacer (aged 6 or 7), Sun Solo (made by Raleigh I believe), Raleigh Burner, Raleigh Winner (Burgundy metallic 10 speed) and then my proper (and only) serious road bike.

I was always into cycling but I really caught the bug aged 14 watching the thrilling 1989 Tour de France. As Laurent Fignon rode a Raleigh, and looked like he was going to win, he became my sporting hero...cue heart break and sorrow when he was beaten by a set of tri bars, but hey ho!

Anyway, I wanted to get into racing so funded by part time jobs and birthdays I started a long slow process of upgrading the Raleigh Winner, with Shimano Exage 300 components mostly until I had enough money to go to Ray's Cycles in Gillingham, Dorset to buy the gorgeous Raleigh Lightweight 8903 frame I had coveted for so long. It wasn't the team replica 653 that I had really wanted and my parents thought I was mad! Over time I replaced the Shimano components with Campagnolo Athena (my budget wouldn't stretch to C Record), Mavic wheels, Look pedals and a few miscellaneous parts. All the time I was riding it wearing my distinctive Super U kit until I changed that for the Castorama kit that I still wear today.

The bike did me proud, a few time trials with Yeovil Cycle club, some Sunday club runs but mostly just me and the hilly routes around my home. Sadly I retired the bike when I discovered cars and girls in about 1993 and it didn't turn a wheel until this year when I put some new rubber on it, oiled the chain and set about riding it again. There must be something wrong with it as it's not as fast or as fun as it used to be but we're getting there.

The full build is as follows -

Frame - Raleigh Lightweight model 8903, 531C Race
Rear Mech - Campagnolo Athena
Front Mech - Campagnolo Athena
Levers - Campagnolo Triumph friction (probably)
Chainset - Campagnolo Athena 52/41
Freewheel - Zenith 13-24 7 speed (it was 6 speed until recently)
Pedals - Look PP76 Carbon
Brake levers - Campagnolo Athena
Brake calipers - Dia Compe
Rims - 36H Mavic Open 4CD
Hubs - Miche Superfast
Tyres - Michelin Dynamic
Bars - 3 TTT Paris Roubaix (Internal cable routing)
Stem - ITM
Seat post - old Campagnolo I think, aero Athena seat post lost :-(
Saddle - Selle San Marco
Chain - Sedis Sport

I am in the process of converting to Campagnolo Syncro shifting but the levers I bought off Ebay had the wrong indexing ring fitted, so I have the blue ring on its way from Holland to try and make it all work. Here are a few pics, sadly the condition has deteriorated over the years but I love this bike and can't imagine parting with it. I have a ridiculous notion that I may try and pedal it up Alpe d'Huez in 2014 but I have a lot of pounds to lose and training miles to do before that happens!

Thanks for reading, I hope you like the pictures.

_DSC2119_small.jpg

_DSC2126_small.jpg

_DSC2125_small.jpg

_DSC2124_small.jpg

_DSC2123_small.jpg

_DSC2122_small.jpg

_DSC2120_small.jpg

_DSC2121_small.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, i say deteriorated but really it's in pretty good condition. I had considered a complete respray and applying team replica decals that are available on Ebay but I like the way it looks to be honest.

Cheers, Martin

No, no, no you keep it just as it is! Lovely bike and read, thanks for sharing.

There's a few mods I'd make to the bike; changing bar tape and saddle would be high on the list completing the Athena group would be the long term plan.

Must be a thing with these Raleigh's slowing down from storage I had the same problem with mine when it cam out of storage after sitting redundant for a good few years and it was really, really reluctant to go up hills. Poor old bike ;)

Funny you should mention the tape, I was just looking for something more suitable (and possibly French?). A pair of Athena callipers is on the shopping list - I have a daft attraction to Campagnolo Delta brakes but am so far resisting the temptation of fitting something that stops like an anchor but weighs about the same!

Ha :) Delta's are for posers :roll: Hence why I have a pair allocated to one of my projects :D

Athena brakes are distinctive and beautiful, plus they'll almost complete the group they must be the obvious choice, it'll look great for sure.

You're faily spoilt for choice regarding the ribbon with so many colours on the frame. I'm thinking a white to yellow fade would be good....

Good idea, I had some white to red fade before the awful stuff that's on there now. Looking for some suitable replacement now, I'll be damned if I can find any though!

I can get you silver to blue, white to black or red to white. Only one obvious choice there in my opinion should you not be able to find anything else. Let me know and I'll confirm a price, ballpark is about £15.

Thanks for the offer, I am going to try an experiment which, if it works, I will post on here. If it looks dreadful (there's every chance) I will deny all knowledge and go for the red/white you mentioned. Watch this space!

" There must be something wrong with it as it's not as fast or as fun as it used to be but we're getting there. "

story of my life... ;)

i have a lovely campagnolo chorus aero 27.2 seatpost available if you're interested?

welcome to the forum :cool:

Back