Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse, Nott's.
Regarding the first picture!

Not sure if this is 1986 though as Bolsover wheelers rider is wearing a skin suit with 'Nova Cycles' on it - this would date it earlier.

Also the Leics RC rider had K&W Dairies logo on his jersey. This sponsorship ended in 1985.

The North Notts Olympic rider on the far right is Craig Sankey. Known throughout the local cycling circles as ''SWAG'' [riding the Cyclo x bike]

Craig would have been a senior in 1986.

Mercian have always known how to make excellent bicycles and yours is a corker 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Nottingham
Ian Raleigh wrote:
Regarding the first picture!

Not sure if this is 1986 though as Bolsover wheelers rider is wearing a skin suit with 'Nova Cycles' on it - this would date it earlier.

Also the Leics RC rider had K&W Dairies logo on his jersey. This sponsorship ended in 1985.

The North Notts Olympic rider on the far right is Craig Sankey. Known throughout the local cycling circles as ''SWAG'' [riding the Cyclo x bike]

Craig would have been a senior in 1986.

Mercian have always known how to make excellent bicycles and yours is a corker 8)


It was definitely 1986 as it was my last year as a Juvenile and I would have been 16 in the November having been born in 1970!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:10 am
Posts: 4473
Location: Bristol
Cracking thread! I've some Rolls saddles, PM me if you're interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
Nice. Those bars and stem will polish up well with more time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 8247
Location: Cumbria
Nice post :)

Back in the 70's when I raced there were a limited number of photographers about so there are not a lot of pictures of me :(

My avatar pic is taken by the Hull Thursday Road Club photographer and if he hadn't been around then nothing would have been recorded! Taking photo's in those days was quite expensive.

Most people bought what they could afford or got from someone who was changing their kit and aside from the pro teams and those with lots of cash the "groupset" was a pipe dream.

I'd use what you fancy to put it back together again :)

not sure about those gear levers though LOL

Shaun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:42 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Nottingham
Montello wrote:
Nice. Those bars and stem will polish up well with more time.


The bars and stem are in their original anodising so won't polish up unless I strip back to the aluminium. They look nice and original though - which I like.

Having said that, the bars seem a bit narrow compared to my modern road bike bars and the bend is weird too, being the track / criterium version.

The stem is the original cinelli record with the hidden clamp - pretty rare now I believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Nottingham
Midlife wrote:
Nice post :)

Back in the 70's when I raced there were a limited number of photographers about so there are not a lot of pictures of me :(

My avatar pic is taken by the Hull Thursday Road Club photographer and if he hadn't been around then nothing would have been recorded! Taking photo's in those days was quite expensive.

Most people bought what they could afford or got from someone who was changing their kit and aside from the pro teams and those with lots of cash the "groupset" was a pipe dream.

I'd use what you fancy to put it back together again :)

not sure about those gear levers though LOL

Shaun


Yes, I was quite lucky in that my girlfriend's (future wife's) Step Dad was a keen photographer so I have quite a few pictures around.

Everything that I bought was second hand as I couldn't afford to buy new - well all except those Suntour shifters which were bought for me by my Dad. They really were cutting edge at the time and I couldn't ever bring myself to change them now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 962
Location: Montpellier, France
A fantastic post - keep those Suntour shifters! Look forward to seeing this finished and ridden again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2186
Location: Shrewsbury
Not sure why those Suntour shifters didn't catch on. I had some on a Motoconfort, a clever little system of trimming the front derailleur as your moved through the rear cogs, they worked perfectly on the bike I had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 669
If you bought that frame for £35 in the mid-'80's I reckon you did well...
I paid almost twice that for a secondhand road frame, (not Mercian) at about the same time, and I thought I was doing well! Still got mine too, and the Cinelli criterium bars... and unlike me, you obviously put it all to it's intended use.

Also, looks like you got a classy, timeless colour-scheme into the bargain :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: larrytx01 and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group