My early 90's rides Bianchi/Peugeot/Campag (back in the day)

tarloone

Retro Guru
I'm a newbie here, but started cycling with my local club back in '87' at the age of 14. I gave up shortly after building the two bikes below, In the interim I tooled about with MTB'ing before finally getting back into road 2.5 yrs ago....hasn't it changed in 20 years?!

The first bike was a Bianchi made from Columbus SLX bought from Bike Tech in Cheltenham (now leisure lakes) , I built it myself over the winter whilst collecting all the Corsa Record parts week by week - Was an expensive time at 17, but the pleasure of opening all those White (with a red stripe) boxes! I still remember the first 'spin' on a early March day back in 91 and if I'm honest, had more of an initial inpact than my current Ridley Helium. I got the Record parts just when the rear mech went to the new 'modern' design and I remember deliberating whether to go for that or the old model...new prevailed as you can see. Went friction shifters with a Sachs 7 spd screw on 13-21 block. Pedals were Look carbon ltd edition rainbow colour...seemed good idea at the time!

After tooling about with the Bianchi for a couple of months, I reluctantly conceded it was too big so it was swiftly replaced with a slightly smaller Peugeot 653 frame that I stumbled across at a local LBS at a bargain price (Priory cycles in Bidford) and all components swapped across...You'll see the stunning C Record cranks were swapped for old Record cranks as I had to sell them to buy car insurance...the sacrifices at 18 hey :)

This was a great bike and I had some memorable rides out on it in my final 12mths of cycling in that era, up to about 1992. One day I'll build something similar again, and when the weather shines...once again, do one of those memorable rides retro style!

Anyhow, hope you find my no doubt, familiar story an entertaining read.

Attachments

• 552201_4805641697777_659533798_n.jpg
    552201_4805641697777_659533798_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 585
  • 530891_4805643457821_130904532_n.jpg
    530891_4805643457821_130904532_n.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 585
Very nice bikes!

The photos...look a bit odd, the bikes look like miniature models but flat. Oh I see, the photos are photos of photographic prints placed on the floor carpet!

90's bikes

Nice bikes! I remember those Pug framesets - very popular back in the day weren't they. What did you do with them in the end?

I sold the Bianchi frame to make way for the Peugeot. Sadly I sold the Peugeot in '94' for some car related matter...I sold the whole bike for £550 and even as the guy put it in the back of the car, I knew it was a mistake!

I always wanted a Peugeot 979 but in the end settled for the 653 and was completely satisfied with it...I liken it it to the 'impreza' of the bike world at the time...reasonable looking, not silly expensive, common as muck but always a guaranteed performer! :D

I see you got a nice pug too '531' and i'm slightly envious its still around too. A buddy I've just got back in contact from the days of the 653 has still got his Aravis, he brought it round for me to sort out last week...we were laughing, as It was me who put it together for him in 1989 when it was delivered all boxed from Autosave...the only place to get a nice price pug back then...as you know! :LOL:

Nice story and very familiar - I also had a 20 year gap between cycling back then and cycling now. First time I walked into a bike shop a couple of years ago it was like something out of a science fiction film - where were all the steel bikes? How did anyone feel the need for an 11-speed cassette? Why are mountain bikers wearing baggy shorts? Etc. etc.

I LOVE that Bianchi... Worth you keeping an eye out on European eBay for another if you want to relive your youth. They do come up for sale. Good luck with kitting it out with C-Record though, I hope your income has increased since you were 17...!

Back