Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Montello wrote:
LDP wrote:
What pedals do I spy on there? :wink:

:oops: all my other bikes have pedals from the dark side ... there are some practical considerations, this way it gets ridden more.

Almost 400 miles so far since the renovation was completed ...

I'm just teasing, I put Look Keos on all my road bikes when I actually ride them! I'm sure lots of forum members do the same :wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Lovely bike and well done.

If you remind me to check, I can likely come up with a 50th anniversary brake center bolt dome cap and I know I have at least one singleton 50th anniversary hub, I just can't remember whether front or rear.

One personal nitpick is the routing of the brake cables. It always looks unbalanced in my eyes to see the right brake lever going to Campagnolo brakes because of the offset. Just like it looks unbalanced having he left lever going to the oppositely laid out side pull calipers of other brands. I know many people are convinced that they cannot get accustomed to riding with a set-up that is contrary to what they have grown accustomed to, but it has never been a problem for me. I have bikes that feature right/rear and left/rear and apart from at slow speed have never been able to notice any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Citoyen du monde wrote:
If you remind me to check, I can likely come up with a 50th anniversary brake center bolt dome cap and I know I have at least one singleton 50th anniversary hub, I just can't remember whether front or rear.

PM me if you have either of those bits; I am sure we can do a deal

Citoyen du monde wrote:
One personal nitpick is the routing of the brake cables. It always looks unbalanced in my eyes to see the right brake lever going to Campagnolo brakes because of the offset. Just like it looks unbalanced having he left lever going to the oppositely laid out side pull calipers of other brands. I know many people are convinced that they cannot get accustomed to riding with a set-up that is contrary to what they have grown accustomed to, but it has never been a problem for me. I have bikes that feature right/rear and left/rear and apart from at slow speed have never been able to notice any difference.

I am not sure I understand your point; are you suggesting I run the front brake from the left lever?

If so I can't get me head around it with other bikes being routed the standard UK way (right = front). I am afraid after many years of riding my brain is programmed and I fear in an emergency I could grab too much of the wrong brake. I have used hire bikes on holiday and I don't adjust to the change.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:20 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

I've started another phase of tweeking to be done over the winter ....

Starting off with a new saddle.

Which means my previous Coppi limited edition saddle is on eBay if anyone fancies it. Shown on the below link.

http://www.redvelo.co.uk/pinarello/my-m ... ddle.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:40 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Citoyen du monde wrote:
One personal nitpick is the routing of the brake cables. It always looks unbalanced in my eyes to see the right brake lever going to Campagnolo brakes because of the offset. Just like it looks unbalanced having he left lever going to the oppositely laid out side pull calipers of other brands.

Been thinking about switching the brake levers around ... thought I'd review the old shots and brochures:

Vittorio Algeri won (1984) the right to wear the Italian National Champion jersey riding for Metauro Mobili Pinarello.

And here is the 1985 brochure

Both have front on the right!! :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 am 
Retro Guru

Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Lovely bike Montello, I remember seeing many of these for sale in the 80s when I was a regular at Dauphin Sport in Surrey.

On the subject of brake cables; there are numerous images of British riders (BITD) in particular with the right/front brake arrangement. The new book I have Merckx 69 shows Eddy with this right/front arrangement too.

Plus your posted images underline this. The right/front arrangement seems much more natural to me as I ride a motorcycle as well, and motorcycle front brakes are operated in this way - my brain is hard wired to brake right/front.

I am right handed too (quite ambidextrous, but my right is dominant), perhaps for left handed folk braking left/front may be more natural?

Perhaps both right and left handed RBers might like to comment.

Rk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

i think the right front unless its crossed over looks like little cartoon ant antenna :D :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

I will have a tinker and decide which looks best ...

Can't help recalling some of those tricky off road descents in the L'Eroica Britannia; I remember pulling pretty hard on the brakes at some points .... that is making me lean towards keeping the right front ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Bars covered using a VeloBitz Kit: Note you will need the extra long kit for deep drop bars.

here is a link http://www.velobitz.co.uk/s-h-o-p/45818 ... bar-Covers

Photos taken before brake cables added.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:22 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

2 years after I started I now have all the bits I need to make a trip to the wheel builder worth while for the Montello.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next