Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:43 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Well, 7 weeks into the new year and i am no further forward. I have been waiting for decals from before Christmas and am now trying to source a set from a different supplier (thanks RustyRetro). I have had to make a few changes to various bits and pieces to satisfy the eagle eyed RBers (thanks Mr Raleigh) and i plan to replace a couple of bits and pieces - bar tape, wheels, tubes in the final installment. Unfortunately the OE seat has not turned up but i have the Concor Profil on it at the moment and i have another recovered Concor (black suede) to go on should the need arise.

I think, as i learn about these builds, it is best to have ALL the bits and pieces before you start and then the build should not be delayed. As a newbie, you have to start somewhere and you should learn by your mistakes - this is one lesson i wish i had learned earlier.
Here are a few pics of the current road-going Rapide - if anyone spots anything which should be changed please tell me - apart from those previously mentioned.

Thanks for reading - is this the slowest build thread?

Thanks everyone for all your help, i hope that the final build will be soon - but no promises!!!!!!

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

That Rapide is actually very nice now and must say I Image it.

Lets hope you treasure for the next 30 years!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Actually Ian, those are the old crank covers, the new ones actually LOOK much nicer - thanks again!! LOL

Last edited by TGR on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Actually Richard for your sarky' remark I'm going to fault pick your chainset! It has an odd bolt Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Where is the odd bolt? I will be phoning Raleigh because that was the bolt supplied!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 am 
Old School Grand Master

March update, this really is taking too long - i have the front wheel disassembled and the hub cleaned and re-greased (thanks Mr Raleigh for the advice). I have the front hub polished and it looks brand new - the pic is a bit blurry as i have the shakes after all the polishing -

I am busy sorting out the front rim and once complete i will move to the rear wheel - this is a slow process and it is not helped by other family things, work and more bikes!!!

I have obtained new decals which are on the bike so the wheels are the last bit and she will be done - after what seems ages and is ages!!! Had it not been for my insistence to use the OE wheels this would have been done for Christmas,

Thanks everyone - especially Ian Raleigh for the help,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

This really is an outstanding resto job Richard, when I think back to where it all started it is an amazing transformation. That signature line of yours is getting longer and longer ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Tel,

It is a bit odd but this resto has meaning for me personally, so i think i want it right. Mr Raleigh has advised me regarding minor faults, for example, the brake cable angles were slightly off so the cable housing has been bent a few times to get the angles right. And i won't mention the fact that the valves are too long!!!! (new tubes have been bought!) He is a fussy guy - and, i suppose, rightly so!!!

Thanks,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm 
Old School Grand Master

HA!!!! I have just realised something - the pics of the bike have included the spare wheels with the Campag front hub and helicomatic rear so far!!!! How did i miss that?

The OE wheels are Weinmann rims and Maillard/Spidel hubs (as in the pic above) - i will sort out pics soon. The spare wheels are bound for another bike when they are ready.

Apologies all,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I suppose the bike isn't looking too bad Richard but it needs Garlic :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next