Sonic cycles restoration.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
See page 5 for a few parts pics :D

I was lucky enough to be given this frame by 'Porshenut911'(thanks mate)
I plan to do a full bare metal rebuild on her, this won't be a quick process :D

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks i will free the stuck seatpost and stem and shot blast the frame at work before taking it to my local frame builder to have a couple of brake stops re-attached :D

The frame doesn't have a frame number so working out a precise age is going to be tricky. I have included a couple of closeups of the original(maybe) BB and headset. If anybody can figure out an idea of the age of the components that might get me closer to finding out the age of the frame. The colour scheme is screaming late 70's :LOL:

Anyway, tis a beautiful thing, i'm a very lucky boy :D

Attachments

• sonic 007.JPG
    sonic 007.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,362
  • sonic 008.JPG
    sonic 008.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,362
  • sonic 009.JPG
    sonic 009.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,362
  • sonic 011.JPG
    sonic 011.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,362
  • sonic 010.JPG
    sonic 010.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,362
  • sonic 012.JPG
    sonic 012.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,363

Frame is solid as far as i can tell.
The black blob below the lug in the pic of the top of the seatube is a paint chip, is that what you are refering to?

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2shrvnl8 said:
Frame is solid as far as i can tell.
The black blob below the lug in the pic of the top of the seatube is a paint chip, is that what you are refering to?

yes - looked like a hole to me

If you're trying to date this frame, have you tried asking at source? I'm assuming you've seen this thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206850&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
AFAIK the builder worked out of the Bikefix shop, which IIRC started up in the early '80's, so probably not a '70's frame, especially not with a braze-on for front mech. What year did they come in? That would give you a sort of: 'not before' date.

P.S. I thought it was a hole, too....

The 'Arrow' lugs are very,very similar. I didn't know lugs for stems were available hmmm..... :D

The previous owner has informed that the frame is mid nineties with the older components being used with a mix of parts that were current at the time.
I hope to get this comfirmed by the company soon.
I know its Columbus tubing but it would be great if the company can tell me which type aswell.
Will a bare frame weight give me an idea?

Back