Bob Jackson 1967/68

justridecycles

Dirt Disciple
An ebay purchase that I have thoroughly enjoyed riding until the forks snapped. Now back with Bob Jackson 45 years later for repair, respray, and forks rechromed. Full set of period transfers going on. Never crossed my mind whether it was worth restoring or not as the ride is just perfect. Can't wait to get it back. Will have to figure out how to get better photos on here when I do get it back. :oops:

Attachments

• 8144377295_be6cdec374_m.jpg
    8144377295_be6cdec374_m.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,280
I've seen some pretty amazing Bob Jackson paint jobs so this will be interesting to see :) What colour(s) are you planning?

Good to see you survived the fork breakage to make the post, I take it you didn't bend or break anything on yourself :LOL:

I think its the crimson enamel - tried to get as close to original. No damage to me - looked down at the front wheel and thought it was play in the bearings! Continued to ride for about a week before I hand chance to have a proper look and found the forks :shock:

Presuming that was a failure of the brazing joint between crown and fork blade and not a fracture of the actual fork blade?

nope - fracture of the fork blades. I thought it was at the joint until I took the wheel out. Just got a call from Bob Jacksons to say its ready for collection. Cycled into work today and cant get over to Leeds so it'll have to wait til Monday. Gonna be a loooooonnnnnnng weekend

Bloody hell.. :( I always thought 531 (I'm presuming that's what they are) forks were pretty much bullet-proof. I'd be interested to see a close-up photo of that... but I suppose the opportunity for that is gone now it's getting repaired/refinished. How far beyond the fork-crown was the fracture? Not far judging from the photo. Do you think it was caused by stress/brittleness, or by corrosion?

Got it back today - really pleased with the finish. What d'ya think? Apart from the quality of the pictures! Now for cleaning the parts and rebuilding. Going to take some time - pretty cold in the garage at this time of year!!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG