Rick Powell Columbus EL

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Picked up this beauty today.

Put in a silly bid on eBay, wasn't even sure of the size, but saw some of the kit was good. Ended up winning and am really pleased!

I'm guessing early 1990s going by the colour and the bar tape. Colour is not my usual cup of tea but is growing on me.

Condition is near perfect other than a dirty chain, I haven't even dusted over for a photo.

The bike has got a lovely spec, and with a bit of air in the tubs ready to ride. Look at the clearance on the rear wheel! Good news is the size is perfect for me.

I've had a quick read on the web and here and discovered that the builder, Rick Powell used to work for Carlton, and Raleigh, then independently. There's also a news paper article from 2002 that says he built Victoria Pendletons training bikes. Any further information would be gratefully received.

Pics and spec below -

Frame: Rick Powell
Columbus EL tube set
Columbus lugs

Fork: Columbus straight leg

Headset: Dura Ace 7400
Stem: mavic quill stem
Handlebar: Cinelli campione del mondo
Bar Tape: splat!

Brake Levers/Brifters: Chorus ergos 8s
Brake Calipers: Suntour superbe
Brake Cables: Campagnolo

Front Derailleur: Chorus
Rear Derailleur: Chorus
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Cassette: Sachs screw on 7sp
Chain: dunno too dirty
Cranks: Mavic Starfish
Chainrings: Mavic
Bottom Bracket: Mavic
Pedals: Spidel/maillard

Rims: Mavic Argent 10 tubular
Hubs: Mavic
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Spokes: double butted stainless
Tyres: vittioria corsa cx squadre prof tubulars

Saddle: selle turbo
Seatpost: miche
Seatpost Binder: campagnolo

8128267751_19428f785a.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by gtpulse78, on Flickr[/img]

Short wheelbase

8128476713_b309728fe8.jpg
[/url]

8128270325_628c70e174.jpg
[/url]

My son says that you can never have too much black, but then, it's easy for him as he rides a Boardman.

My latest project is red / white / blue (as in the American flag), so I don't think black will suit.

In your case, black will look good.

Lovely, stunning machine. Always wanted a EL. Agree with the bar tape though.

I believe Rick Powell is still building in the midlands, I think he subs for Dave Marsh, along with Phil the Skill.

Now in black bar tape flavour

8150970029_5c1bd19749.jpg
[/url]

When I went to collect the bike the seller had another older Rick Powell in the same size, I couldn't say no! See my other thread for details. The other bike is set up for winter training and will get it's first ride tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Back