Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
So, as indicated in previous threads here:

viewtopic.php?t=211782&highlight=rapide

viewtopic.php?p=1585358&highlight=#1585358

and here (super thanks for all the help!):

viewtopic.php?t=226434

I would like to present my Dad's Raleigh Rapide from the mid 80's Question number 1 is, what year was this from? I think it's 1984/5.

Why do I have this in my possession? Well, he knows about my RB addiction and has been following it with interest. He indicated a while back that he was thinking of getting rid of his steed to which I replied :shock: :!: :shock: :!: with a few choice words thrown in. Fast forward to September and we started digging around in this shed.

At the back, there she was. Untouched since they moved house back in the late 90's it was in surprisingly good shape. Then I got her home and started taking a closer look...

dsc0311u.jpg

dsc0334xz.jpg

dsc0313pl.jpg

dsc0314ex.jpg

dsc0315qd.jpg

dsc0316tm.jpg

dsc0317ag.jpg

dsc0318uw.jpg

dsc0319l.jpg

dsc0320yfu.jpg

dsc0321k.jpg

dsc0322qz.jpg

dsc0324y.jpg

dsc0325uo.jpg

dsc0326tq.jpg

dsc0327jx.jpg

dsc0328op.jpg

dsc0329wv.jpg

dsc0330v.jpg

dsc0331fp.jpg

dsc0332c.jpg

dsc0333vq.jpg

I discovered at least 5 spiders and numerous little mite thingys living on her as I started to strip her down; a first in the restorations I've completed :LOL:

The more I took her apart the more I was pleased to see that even though it was super dirty, the layers of oil that my dad had applied had preserved the components really well. As you'll see, after some epic cleaning, the Campy stuff is coming up super-shiney after the usual Autosol magic.

The frame is straight and true and is good old 531. It's really light (remember I'm a MTB'er - don't shoot me!) and the colour is magic. It's a proper mother of pearl white and still retains that sparkle under the spot light. This weekend it gets the polish and T-cut treatment. I've tried to remove the worst of the surface rust using the gel stuff you can get from Halfords. Any other recommendations for removing surface rust without damaging the paintwork are appreciated!

Now, the surprise is that Dad thinks I'm doing this up for me, then to sell (and give him the money). No, no. This is his Christmas present. To complete that I'm after any catalogues or brochures of the Rapide as I'd love to present that as a teaser. I'm also after any period-correct jerseys, again as a little teaser before I roll it out.

So the Rapide is in bits. It's been cleaned and degreased and carefully bagged up so I know which bits go with what. I've had the cassette / freewheel challenge, and thanks to you guys, I have the correct Suntour adapter in the post so hopefully that will arrive today and I can remove it this weekend.

The last remaining challenge are the pedals. They are "welded" to the cranks and without a vice I can't remove them. So I'll be popping to the LBS tomorrow to sweet-talk them into removing them for me (or me using the vice if they are super busy / want a laugh as I try to remove them).

In the meantime, the frame has come up lovely. Here she is along with the fleet:

pilec.jpg

This week I've been polishing up the mechs. The rear one was a bitch to put back together; the spring was super-tight and I ended up spraining my thumb :LOL: I had to wear one of the wrist supports for a couple of days, which made for some interesting commutes this week on Cindy. Anyway, before:

dsc0002sh.jpg

After:

mechl.jpg

And for the front, before:

dsc0004tnm.jpg

After:

dsc0099kh.jpg

dsc0100ai.jpg

A very nice bit of cleaning :)

Have you looked on the back of one of those Weinmann calipers? You should see a stamped circle of numbers and in the centre, the year :)

Its a pretty good indicator of when it was built, assuming they are original.

Robbied196":3fwhvwst said:
A very nice bit of cleaning :)

Have you looked on the back of one of those Weinmann calipers? You should see a stamped circle of numbers and in the centre, the year :)

Its a pretty good indicator of when it was built, assuming they are original.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I did; one caliper was dated 1983, the rest 1984. Nothing like a bit of mixing and matching!

One midget brush, 1 pot of scarlet red and 1 pot of matt black Humbrol =

dsc0108hz.jpg

I knew all that Tamiya model painting as a teen would come in useful one day ;)

Also polished up the levers which look proper cool. Sadly the hoods I got don't fit properly; they have too much rubber below meaning you can't fully pull back the lever. So, my quest for one that fit continues...any ideas / recommendations?

Tamiya!

I had the Tiger Tank. Loved that tank. :D :D

Gonna get me some humbrol too.
Looks good after a clean Dad'll be proud.

Percybigun":3q7spit6 said:
Very cool bike indeed, how did you clean the mechs?

Step 1. Halfords motorcycle degreaser, lots of of, get high on fumes.
Step 2. Super hot soapy water with a strong bristle brush to get rid of the big stuff, then a finer wire brush for the gritty stuff.
Step 3. Repeat 1 and 2 until clean.
Step 4. Dry.
Step 5. Autosol like a bitch.

If there's surface rust, the after Step 4, the 5th step would be to apply some rust removal gel before rinsing, drying and then apply autosol.

Did the chain rings and cranks the other night, they came up proper nice!

Hi, some good polishing and cleaning. Any update on the re-assembly?

I have mine almost all stripped down, much less cleaning than you have had to do but i still have the polishing to get on with. I am wondering about the wheels, they have been straightening numerous times and are rough - what condition are yours in?

Updates! Been polishing like crazy but the pieces are coming up trumps. Sadly the headset surface is pretty knackered but it'll be carefully lacquered over the weekend to try and stop any more flaking. I don't really want to replace it because it works really well; all the bearings are smooth and rust free.

dsc0124e.jpg

Love the crank caps:

dsc0125sa.jpg

Bars:

dsc0115rg.jpg

Seapost. Thankfully the worst of the scratching is below deck and anyway I can blame that on Dad because he didn't apply enough lube arf arf:

dsc0126jm.jpg

Cranks and re-assembled rings and bolts. Everything got a strip down so it's super clean and shiny:

dsc0116ny.jpg

dsc0119ea.jpg

Stem:

dsc0122sq.jpg

dsc0121xc.jpg

I'm still searching for brown hoods that fit so if anyone can help out please hola!

Back