What's this frame??

MartyP

Dirt Disciple
Hi There,

Anyone know what this unidentified frame is? Unfortunately, it's covered in thick hammerite and has no head badge so i'm a bit baffled!

I've looked all over google and the usual sites and found nothing similar... The defining features are the twin cut-outs in the lug-work (somehow making an 'M' maybe?) and the strange rear mech hanger/drop-outs...

Any ideas gratefully taken...

Cheers,
Marty P

Attachments

• Whole Frame.jpg
    Whole Frame.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Cut-outs on Lugs.jpg
    Cut-outs on Lugs.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Headstock.jpg
    Headstock.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Rear Drop-outs.jpg
    Rear Drop-outs.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Bottom Bracket.jpg
    Bottom Bracket.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,345
Not sure of the make, could look very nice. reach for the Nitromors I'd say!! :D

Hi, the frame is a very rare beast indeed, I believe its a Rensch ( Paris ) Champion du Monde, getting that stuff off would help. Once clear of that paint there should be a 4 digit serial number on the bottom bracket, which again as a guess will be starting with a six or seven, putting it date wise 1952 ish. The Rensch CDM was always the top of Rensch/Paris range, even above the beauiful Tour de France and according to the superb VCC book on Rensch And Paris cycles ( worth getting ) there are only 9 on the register. Check out a previous thread ( piccie at the bottom will be the one you'll be interested in ) on the subject http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112582 Please go careful with it, it is a piece of history, you never get a chance to own something like this again, I'm very envious. Terry

Thanks for the info Tel - I see what you mean although my lug-work is a bit different but I guess these guys hand-cut the lugs differently each time or using a customer's design perhaps?

Very interesting though and not bad for a £3 purchase last sunday at the tip I suppose?

Actually the fork tube revealed a number: 6389 - year?

In terms of restoration, it's being chemically dipped and stripped right now - to see how the frame looks then but will be treated with the utmost care.

What I really wanted was am idea of original colours to have the frame re-finished etc - guess it will be tricky to get transfers???

Thanks again Tel!

Hi, Rensch and Paris bikes had a reputation for there strong colours, after the war they were seen as either too flash or a ray of sunshine against the grey post war environment. I've a tour de France to restore, and the original colours were flam blue, and flam red head tube with lug lining and a white panel, that's going to cost me, once I have it up and running. I will send you Alvin's ( VCC expert and author ) email address who would love to hear from you and may be able to date it to the month. £3 pound - unbelievable bargain, but I'm glad its in safe hands. Don't forget to show it off when finished, the lugs should look superb when finished. Terry

Hi Terry,
You were absolutely correct - it is a Rensch CdM dating from late 1949 Alvin thinks.

Here are a few pics of the rough but original Merlin by the way - and it's for sale...

Cheers,
Martin.

Attachments

• Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Front End.jpg
    Front End.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Mudguards.jpg
    Mudguards.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Whole Bike R.jpg
    Whole Bike R.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,228
Hi Martin, I'm glad its been confirmed, but now you have all the responsibility for a historic rare bicycle frame. That Merlin's a project and a half, at a guest I would say late thirties, and that's just the way I like them, I'm tempted but I have a queue at the moment a mile long. Thanks for showing it, I hope it goes to good home. Terry

Lucky find, good to see it's found a responsible home instead of going for scrap. Looking forward to seeing it in a better condition.

I take it that the Merlin is an original example of the brand that was eventually bought by Bob Jackson?

Latest posts

Back