Raleigh Routier Re-Born

Pogo

Retrobike Rider
After a slow start my neglected and shunned eBay reject is pretty much what I need it to be- a reliable, all weather commuter. Initially it got a strip down and a rebuild, with only new tyres, grease and some TLC getting it back on the road. 18 months later and most upgrades have been completed. It ain't a classic, and it's not 'cool', but it sure rides a lost faster and gets me to 'Town and Around'!

C5492CE2-11A5-49AA-932C-78864DC2ECFF-15237-00001F68715E9D31.jpg

Thanks to forum members, the local skip and eBay, the mechanicals came in quite cheap but the Brooks saddle was an indulgence- they had quite a good sale going at the time... Well that's my excuse! I' currently running with a Shimano Crane rear dérailleur that's doing a handsome job of coping with the 11-28 cassette but the Shimano A400 shifters have an index mode that I may take advantage of at a later date. And with that modern cassette I'm able to resist the need to put the front mech back on, but I won't be doing hills with it as it is.

I was stunned when I replaced the rear wheel and the rest of the drivetrain, I can't determine which part made the biggest difference, the wheel, chain, derailleur, freehub, cassette or was it a major contribution from all parts involved but in comparison to before the bike now glides along. So much so I've even done a bit of touring!

Oh, and Humbrol Crimson enamel paint is a damn good match too

:D

Nice. The only fly in the ointment as far as Im concerned are those tyres....

Spokesmann":24h7iclp said:
Nice. The only fly in the ointment as far as Im concerned are those tyres....

You don't like them? I think they're great :) and they're also really comfy which is a bonus, especially when riding tracks with my daughter on the back. She can't brace herself for the kerbs, potholes etc. some decent ballon tyres are a must and their reflective band keep us visible from the side view at dusk.

Thanks for your comment though I'm glad you like the rest of it, it should now be ready for another 25 odd years of service. :cool:

Hey thats a nice looking bike brilliant colour and for me the tyres help make the good looks 10/10 from me very best wishes Brian.

legrandefromage":3cfomd1m said:
brake levers are not...

I totally agree but I can't justify replacing them at the mo, they and the calipers work fine- plus I'd have to remove the original bar tape and even though it's absolutely knackered it's a good way of deterring bike thieves. Plus what began as a £20 bike has gone a bit nuts, relatively speaking. ;)

Thanks Brian, glad you like it.

A BTW Edit- One thing I found out which i didn't know before - you can use braze on shifters with a band-on bracket; ain't curiosity a wonderful thing.

If you dont want to disturb the bar tape, just carefully undo the levers until the come right off. You can then mount new levers to the existing clamps without touching a thing.

legrandefromage":bjxwdxat said:
If you dont want to disturb the bar tape, just carefully undo the levers until the come right off. You can then mount new levers to the existing clamps without touching a thing.

Oh bleedin'eck, you're removing obstacles/excuses but thanks for the advice- I'll look again at my finances, cheers. :cool:

I have some non suicide Weinmann levers if you are interested. Donation to your local dog rescue......

Dave

Piperdave":3g8bbsoo said:
I have some non suicide Weinmann levers if you are interested. Donation to your local dog rescue..

That's a very kind offer Dave, what i might do is just remove the 'safety-levers' from the existing set- I'll see if it's possible and get back to you if that's ok. Cheers

Back