1960's REW Reynolds

billso

Dirt Disciple
Hi i thought i would put up a couple of pics of my rew reynolds that has been living in my loft for over 10 years now since rescuing it from the scrap metal bin at my local tip.
Rew reynolds was a cycle shop less than a mile from where i live so i alway kept hold of this frame because of the local connection.
I myself dont remember the shop and im unsure when it closed but it must have been over 20 years ago.
The bike was complete apart from the wheels when i found it and i have not even slightly touched it since then as i have always promised myself i would give it a full clean and rebuild when i found time.
The bike is very well speced and must have cost a fortune at the time ,mid sixties im guessing.
Its has a campag headset,bottom bracket,chainset,pedals,front and rear deraliurs,shifters and cable clips.
The wheels fitted in the pics are a pair of campago tipo hubs on mavic ma2s i have pinched from another bike but i hope to find something more period correct at somepoint soon.
The main reason for posting this was to give me some motivation to get this beautiful old bike up and running again.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0010-2.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

That's nice :)

Barber pole seat tube and lugs places it at the very end of the 60's :)

Quick check of the campag cranks should have a diamond with a number and the top of the rear mech will have a date.

The shape of the Nervex lugs can help but since builders bought them in bulk sometimes the dates can vary ..

Cracker though ....

Shaun

Thanks for the positive coments.
The mechs are the earlier chromed brass record ones, the rear having the metal toothless jockey wheels and the front has the built in cable guide. The chainset also does not have a date code as these seemed to come into use a little later from what i have read on the net.

i had an R.E.W Reynolds bike it was an elderley sturmey archer 3 speeder equipped machine finished in orange with barber pole treatment , great bike to ride and own .

and this one looks nice too

Love it. What a beautiful bike.

Midlife":31i1inh5 said:
The seat post is back to front BTW :)

Shaun
I was undecided at first, based on the laid back seat tube, but I think they stopped using back-to-front looking seat posts in around 1900 when the shape of frames settled down to the double diamond in pretty much the proportions we recognise these days. So I reckon you're right there. Before then they had odd angles and you'd often see a heavily forward canted seat post or the saddle hanging on right at the back!

Midlife":2yy63jn3 said:
The seat post is back to front BTW :)

Shaun

Sure is! It's the Unica one that matches the saddle and they were rather short! However, people rode much bigger frames in those days so they got away with it.

Nice bike!

I've just bought a similar bike on EBay - racing green, Campagnolo Nuovo Record gear - dated 1970 - trying to find out a bit more about the make....

Back