Pinarello Montello SLX - More Pics

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Take a look at what just arrived in the post :D :

http://sdrv.ms/Pa5Ab8

One of Treviso's finest and not in as bad a condition as I was expecting. The decals have half melted off as normal and the paint is a bit worn but there are no dents or cracks. Some of you may have seen it on the bay and my nose was drawn to it from here - very chuffed as it's exactly my size (55cm) and it didn't cost the earth unlike some I have seen recently (admittedly on ebay).

The intention is to do a complete refurb with new paint, chrome and decals; this will hopefully do justice to the minty C Record groupset that I have had stored away for the past few years :cool: I know that this is predictable but I've lusted after a bike like this since I was a spotty 14 year old in the early 90s!

I know that Pinarello made these from the mid 80s with subtle evolutionary changes in subsequent years. From pictures of other bikes and some internet searches I think that this frame dates from 89-91. If anyone has any info or can pin a date down I'd be grateful as I probably won't replicate the original paint scheme but I would like to do something faithful to the year / era - fluro flames are definitely out!

Edit: before and after pics here, loads more pics at the link:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 1,623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,623
Very nice and they ride brilliantly.

Good luck with the resto, with C-rec it will be special.

Thanks, any suggestions on colours? I was thinking a dark metallic blue with white decals and picking out the pantographs on the frame in white or silver; or maybe a dark metallic silver / grey with black or white decals. Hmm I must give this some more thought!

Pinarello Montello SLX

Lovely frame, the white Banesto team colours would look great. Black ITM bars and stem - class :)

Regards, Pat

Pinarello Montello SLX

Just found this in June 1992 Winning magazine, Jeff Bernard in Paris Nice and it has the ergo power levers

Attachments

• jeff bernard.JPG
    jeff bernard.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 3,024
I have the Ergos and down tube shifters so I could put either on. Whilst the Banesto team colours are great I think this Montello is a bit early for them; note the unicrown forks, welded Oria tubing and external top tube cable guides in the picture plus it may be a tragedy to loose the chrome!

I am nearing completion of a similar frame, just need to find a few hours to finish it. Here are a few pics. It been painted in the original colour and is a good match.

Attachments

• Pina2.jpg
    Pina2.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 2,987
  • Pina1.jpg
    Pina1.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 2,987
Back