Raleigh Gran Course Reynolds 531 build thread.

dadstardeluxe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, this is my first build thread, (not my first build I hasten to add!) but thought I would start a thread - as I have a dilemma... more later. I bought this as a full bike and have gradually cleaned up all most of the components.

Spec is as follows so far. Mavic drop bars and stem, Shimano 600 headset, Shimano 600ax brakeset (in the post), Campagnolo nuevo record rear derailleur, Campagnolo front derailleur and shifters as well as quill pedals. Shimano 600 crank, Gipiemme seatpost, Icaselle Tornado black leather saddle, Mavic G40 grey anno rims with Specialized hubs. Frame has Campag dropouts which is a bit unusual from standard spec of Gipiemme dropouts.

In the pics I have tried to show the frame, but also the first decision to make regarding the rebuild. The paint is quite scabby, frame is solid though, but the rust is pretty stubborn and has spoiled the paint. Do I get it as good as I can warts and all - but retain patina and originality, or repaint - was potentially thinking white.. but I don't know - thoughts welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_6560.jpg
    DSC_6560.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,210
  • DSC_6561.jpg
    DSC_6561.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,208
  • DSC_6565.jpg
    DSC_6565.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • DSC_6569.jpg
    DSC_6569.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,210
Satin black touch up in various small shapes. Stars, squares, triangles etc

Just a thought :D

I'd give it a whirl though, unless you want to spend money on it.

I'd get some good quality 0000 grade steel wool, dip it in oil and give those rust spots a good going over. 90% of the time you'll be amazed at the improvement.

There's a lot of rust spots to cover up but it would be a shame to lose the two tone paint job as it's so typical of the era. I would keep it as is.

Mark.

Restore!

Thanks for all the advice, I'll give operation clean up a whirl. Will post pics of the results. Got the 600ax brakes this morning too -lovely!

Does it have a two tone paint job ? or is it two tone lilac and rust ?

Is it an old frame of yours from your era and do you have an attachment to it? if not then I'd think about getting it re-finished. Otherwise leaving it out in the rain will bring back those brown patches :(

IMHO Shaun

Parts cleanup complete

I have cleaned all the parts up now, and here they are so far - the mechs are still on the frame, have been solvolled for good measure but are pretty clean. the rest of the stuff is here - not much of a groupset, would like to rectify that really when funds allow with more Campagnolo, certainly brakes and a crank.. anyway, this is what I have so far. The frame has come up as an improvement - will post pics later, but still has quite a few blemishes.

Attachments

• DSC_6570.jpg
    DSC_6570.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,006
Great frame, superb parts. I'd say get thee to a powder coaters for a good strip and a bullet hard finish then re-decal.

Back