Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Klein Quantum repaint
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 am 
Two Fat Ladies

My beloved Klein Quantum ended up damaged earlier in the year after I got caught up in someone elses accident. I'd lusted after a Klein Quantum as a teenager back in the day and came across this 1992 build at my local bike shop where it had been traded back around 2000. In the dozen years since I have to have done at least 60,000km's on it. So was pretty sad when it got damaged, I'd been told klein's don't crash well ...

So once the frame was damaged I bought another 1995 Quantum in white off ebay within a week in the same size with the intention of repaining it to match my original Quantum. After swapping all the parts over have ridden as is since. So with a couple of busy weekends that prevented me riding with the guys I decided to get in and get the repaint done. The colour match came up really well, its a pearl colour so really glows in the sun.

Here is my original bike before the accident.

Now the white frame after being rubbed back and primed. With the blue painted for the debossing and decals applied ready for the lime pearl colour.

Fresh out of the spray booth.

The colour is a tad more green than the original but it has faded a bit over the years I am sure. The colour is very close though and they both have the pearl in them that really sets it off in the sun. I also did the decals part in metallic blue so the sparkle is in both the lime and the blue colours.

This pic kind of captures the sparkle of the pearl colour. I am very happy with the final product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
Fantastic I think that looks better than the original paint 8) 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 pm 
Old School Hero

That looks really cool, it's come up really well.

I had a go at some repair work to my Cannondale R500 frame, respraying where the seat post had been brazed out, didn't get a perfect match though. I would have loved to have the skill and proper gear to manage a respray of the same quality you got there.

You'll have to post pictures of the completed bike comparing it to the original.

Post subject: Quanutm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 am 
Dirt Disciple

This is a beautiful job. I really love how it turned out. What does the full build look like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I too have a Quantum, though mine is a bit newer. Thanks for the pics

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

Nice build

What does it ride like?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
Retro Guru

i like your choice of forks , those thick straight things although they are prob aero efficient , seam to throw things out of proportion would nt you say ? what does she handle like? good acsender no doubt , im starting to like these now ,especially now ive seen those forks and of course the horizontal t tube , is a must . With the oversized tubes any paint makes for a full effect, may be this is a future frame for me, thank you.