Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm
Posts: 104
Location: stoke on trent uk
Johnsqual wrote:
Tel wrote:

Not sure if the where's the 14 gears come from question was serious but basically if you're on the small ring at the front you have the seven gears on the back, then when you're on the large ring you have another seven gears; 14 in total.


Sorry to wheel out the pedantry, but for me calling this 14 speed is a bit misleading. You should avoid crossing the chain over by riding in the big chainring-big sprocket or small ring-small sprocket combinations.

It's something people new to cycling often do, but it wears the chain more quickly, and could potentially lead to breaking the chain.
Since it's probably not advisable to use the two big-big and small-small
combinations, it would be more accurate to call a bike like this a 10 speed really.

Like I say, sorry for the pedantry, but most people new to road cycling with
double rings (me included) make the mistake of crossing the chain over, but it's not a very good habit.

Cheers,

Johnny


Hi ,thanks very much ,this is a good point ,because being new to road cycling you are right we dont fully understand the gearing and only learn by being told some thing that comes naturaly to the veteran but is often lost to the new comer this is why i like this forum because folk on here will take the time to push you along in the right direction and i am grateful so treat me like the village idiot and i will surely learn ,very best wishes Brian.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:01 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm
Posts: 104
Location: stoke on trent uk
Tel wrote:
It's a bit hunky chunky in comparison to what was on it, not what I would have chosen personally but the main thing is you're happy and it doesn't look too bad, colour coordinates well.

I see what they have done is fitted a regular freewheel with an extra large large cog giving, in effect, a granny gear. I think that's a shimano mega range freewheel.

Bet it's nice and tight/smooth now with the new drive train. Always a good way to improve a ride. Invest in a track pump and keep your tyres pumped up nice and hard too.

Not sure if the where's the 14 gears come from question was serious but basically if you're on the small ring at the front you have the seven gears on the back, then when you're on the large ring you have another seven gears; 14 in total.


Hi i like this Hunky chunky ,lol you are right ,but the upgrade did one thing ,it allowed me to peddle up to the harecastle tunnel ,i could not have got there with the sachs Huret gears,no way ,but with the new set up i had the best few hours that i can remember infact it was a joy to peddle ,small price to pay and a lot of enjoyment ,i have kept the sach huret gears because the day will come when i can put them back on. best wishes Brian. ps just a few pics of Harecastle tunnel


Attachments:
h3.jpg
h3.jpg [ 388.98 KiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
File comment: Harecastle
hare 4.jpg
hare 4.jpg [ 339.87 KiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
Harecastle tunnel looks a great ride, will have to check that one out :) You picked the right day, can't imagine it would be that nice today!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
Robbied196 wrote:
:facepalm: Hey, as long as your are happy with it is what counts, and you have a nice clean gear shift.

Unfortunately, its exactly what I thought they would do. There are way to many bike mechanics out there with zero empathy for vintage. They all need putting in a darkened room and flogging with a wet towel for half an hour :)


this

but it's understandable as they work in bike shops which survive by marking up new stock. they don't really have the time / incentive to scour eBay and retro bike forums for parts which will then need cleaning before fitting... with risk of customer saying that the 'new' part is not even new! IMO its why you should never take a vintage bike to a modern bike shop... this is where independent vintage specialists come in!

however, the upgrades are not irreversible and have probably made the bike more usable.

Beautiful Banana by the way - should be in factory spec IMO given that it's so nicely preserved... shame it's too big for you tho

:wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm
Posts: 104
Location: stoke on trent uk
Dead Rats wrote:
Robbied196 wrote:
:facepalm: Hey, as long as your are happy with it is what counts, and you have a nice clean gear shift.

Unfortunately, its exactly what I thought they would do. There are way to many bike mechanics out there with zero empathy for vintage. They all need putting in a darkened room and flogging with a wet towel for half an hour :)


this

but it's understandable as they work in bike shops which survive by marking up new stock. they don't really have the time / incentive to scour eBay and retro bike forums for parts which will then need cleaning before fitting... with risk of customer saying that the 'new' part is not even new! IMO its why you should never take a vintage bike to a modern bike shop... this is where independent vintage specialists come in!

however, the upgrades are not irreversible and have probably made the bike more usable.

Beautiful Banana by the way - should be in factory spec IMO given that it's so nicely preserved... shame it's too big for you tho

:wink:


Hi ,no its not too big for me ,its that im too small lol ,and as for made it usable ,move over Cavendish because here i come ,no but joking apart
this beautiful bike has a new lease of life and we will improve togeather
and she will have the sach Huret back in place when i am ready and i will be, im not used to the speed of road bikes and i was amazed at what speed she will turn out and how easy it was ,i know the veterans amongst you are not much for this kind of upgrade ,but like i say i am not here to deffend the upgrade because its turned a good road bike in to a great road bike,and im still buzzing , ,but i do take your point only dont blame the B/shop i got exactly what i asked for and more and i really am over the moon,best wishes Brian.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:57 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm
Posts: 104
Location: stoke on trent uk
Robbied196 wrote:
Harecastle tunnel looks a great ride, will have to check that one out :) You picked the right day, can't imagine it would be that nice today!


Hi and yes it was indeed a beautiful day to try out my Raleigh Banana bike and it was a beautiful day and a wonderful ride and i cant wait for some more amazing adventures ,indeed what a day ,best wishes Brian.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group