Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

is that rear mech not from a MTB? this would explain why it is longer as RB mech cages tend to be shorter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yeah I think its meant to be a MTB/Hybrid one. I realized after ordering it. However I then did some reading and the consensus was that they are all pretty much the same, so I stuck with it.

Replace chain and cables, or get a smaller derailleur?

edit: ... gth-sizing & ... -2012.html seems to suggest that it may not be too short, as there is an "S" bend in the chain around the derailleur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 am 
Retro Guru

ok sounds like you want a short cage type and yes as a lot of us have found there is rarely a cheapo get it back on the road fix for an older bike , unless you have a garage full of spare parts .

Post subject: Premier league
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Nice bike! These used to be everywhere back in the day. When I worked in the bike shop (I'm begining to sound like Uncle Albert from Only Fools And Horses with that phrase), we had terrible trouble with those bloody Huret gears. They were crap. I mention this to make you feel better about your modern purchase!!

It looks like you are on the biggest sprocket/chainring? Chain might be a bit on the short side (probably due to the extra length you now need to get round the new long cage mech) - but could be worse. As you say, the bend on the gear cable is a bit tight!

Bike looks in great condition, nice one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:13 pm 

Great restoration mate! I did something similar last summer, respraying an old Premiere and kitting it with some new components. I'm currently on the hunt for a fork since mine is unfortunately dangerously bent. Let me know if you have any spares youre willing to sell or know of any sources that could come to my aid! Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 pm 
Retro Guru

is there any one who is clued up on these peugoet's vitus/hle/carbolite is that the historical order ?
i really need to get another carbolite and i always thought the original wheels and components should have been better for these .i remember when peugeot had a chain of shops like raleigh , i would go to the one in fleet hants and chat with the owner and dream of owning their alloy lugged carbon.