Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm 

Dear Retrobikers

I just came across your forum on the web and am looking for advice on whether it's worth spending the money needed to restore/repair an old 'Carlton Pro-Am' bike that I've been riding for years.

It was my father-in-law's and dates from 1980 I think (bottom bracket stamped with WN8002914). It has a somewhat rust-spotted Reynolds 531 frame, original Brooks saddle, SunTour Cyclone gears - and has been happily getting me the short distance to work - but has finally ground to a halt.

I bought a second-hand rear wheel to replace the original one that was close to collapse - but found it had a cracked bearing case (I think that's what it is!) and it now jams solid when riding without warning.

In short, I'd like to repair the bike (and there's lots of other jobs that am sure it could do with as it's not had much more than a bit of oil and some new tyres for 20 years) but, if it's too costly, would try to sell it on to someone who might make better use of it

Be grateful for any thoughts / possible costs

Martin PD (London SE26)

Attachments:
Carlton.jpg
Carlton.jpg [ 405.08 KiB | Viewed 3598 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
In short....................................YES

You can buy a reasonably cheap 27x1&1/4" Alloy wheel on Ebay, it may not be an exact match but will get you going again, on something that would cost you a considerable amount if you were to buy it today :wink: :D

Here is one for example.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27-x-1-1-4-QR ... 48461dd800 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 am 
Retro Guru

kermitgreenkona88 wrote:
In short....................................YES

You can buy a reasonably cheap 27x1&1/4" Alloy wheel on Ebay, it may not be an exact match but will get you going again, on something that would cost you a considerable amount if you were to buy it today :wink: :D

I can only echo the above comments; all that you 'need' to do is to replace a wheel - it certainly doesn't warrant a restoration.

I had a Carlton Pro-Am which I very much regret selling. Sure, other bikes might be 'flashier' looking, might be fractionally lighter etc., but I've never found one that was more comfortable to ride ! (Comfort is something which should never be understated)

I've seen plenty of Pro-Ams, but I've never seen a Pro-Am with the same finish as yours; imo, it would be a shame to get it re-painted.

Oh yes, 'my' Pro-Am didn't have a Brooks saddle as an original fitting - you should find it to be very comfortable.

No doubt our resident Carlton expert (Spokesmann) will be along soon to tell you more - he is the person to tell you about this bike.

Sort out the wheel, give it a wipe down & check over and enjoy what is left of the summer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:00 am 
Retro Guru

As others have said, replace the wheel, cheap(ish) and easy to do.

Do not respray, it will lose it's authentic sheen, just wipe it down and apply some silicon spray (dashboard spray, about 99p a tin from Tesco) then get out and ride.

FWIW it's an October 1978 bike (or at least the frame is, it might have sat around for a while before being built up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Go for it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:04 pm 

Thanks all - ceratinly agree that it's a comfortable ride - thanks for the encouragement - hopefully my mechanical skills (or lack of - sorry to admit it in this company !) will suffice ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
Retro Guru

tiermat wrote:
Do not respray

x 10 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

martinpd wrote:
Thanks all - ceratinly agree that it's a comfortable ride - thanks for the encouragement - hopefully my mechanical skills (or lack of - sorry to admit it in this company !) will suffice ...

Just ask here if you're not sure.

Good luck, that could be lovely!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:37 pm 

I took the Carlton into Vaidas bikes in South-East London but they tell me the frame is in need of heat treatment to correct the dropouts - which have opened out over time so that the back wheel is hard to secure.

I'm afraid at this point my thoughts of repair have gone - I might stick it on ebay for parts - if anyone's interested let me know and I'll put the ebay link on here :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 pm 

Here's a picture - the flash certainly shows up the rust!

Attachments:
dropouts.jpg
dropouts.jpg [ 297.61 KiB | Viewed 3146 times ]
carlton pro-am.jpg
carlton pro-am.jpg [ 396.77 KiB | Viewed 3146 times ]