My 1998 Giant TCR

HulaBoy

Retro Newbie
My 1998 Giant TCR.
Original except the stem, right hand brake/shifter lever and tyres.
Still rides really well, is really light and very responsive!

Attachments

• 2012-08-22 10.53.45.jpg
    2012-08-22 10.53.45.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,773
Very nice. Similar to my one - so I would say its nice!

You're right though, great bikes for the time, even now.

I always like that bike/wheels but the wheels are very heavy. I have one pair of them in a Giant TT aero frame and they are so so so heavy! But look good :D

I don't find them too bad really.
They aren't the lightest but I have felt heavier.
They give a nice smooth ride too.

HulaBoy":kh7hi43t said:
I don't find them too bad really.
They aren't the lightest but I have felt heavier.
They give a nice smooth ride too.

All true!

Just when I change them with a pair of Rolf sestriere or a pair of modern campagnolo zonda I get scared with weight diference (less 1 Kg) :D

Above all they look amazing

Ha ha, well yes, when you put it like that I suppose they are a little weighty compared to some wheels.
It's my every day bike that I use in place of my car on fine days and for that it's great!
I would like a modern TCR though...
The old and the new!
I wonder if the modern version will still be as good and useable in 15 years time like my 98 model though...?

I'll get some pics of mine up sometime; Its the TCR 1, 2003 model, with minor component changes.

The new TCR's are lovely bikes, but these older ones have stood up well. Pretty early on for compact frame designs.

They are heavy by modern standards, but I don't really notice it on the road. Hopefully the weight shows a certain robustness and they'll last well. Wouldn't be as straight forward to get a frame repair done compared to a steel frame.

Yours look great, I don't think I've seen such an early one before.

Giant

Hello. Seen you ad for Giant tcr ad viewed on Sat 27th Oct 2012.
Is this offered for sale? size price groupset required if so.
Pete Sadler. 22 Farmwood Close Newport South Wales.
nice bike nice bike nice bike. me used to own similar.
Thank you Pete.

It's the same as the one I had, Silver with the non-ground down welds. I really liked it but in fairness, it was a medium and really to small for me. Sadly the seatpin disappeared when on loan to someone (it was to long for him and he swopped it for another - and lost it!) but I do have the original adjustable stem still. The wheels also went elsewhere for some reason, probably due to the then perceived difficulty in obtaining spokes.

It's currently enjoying life in France with my daughter's partner who is very happy with it.

Attachments

• GiantTCROct08.1.A.jpg
    GiantTCROct08.1.A.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,451
Back