Don Brooks Columbus SLX/SL Handbuilt.

ForestHill

Retro Guru
After a bit more tinkering,and a 120 miler to the coast on it with all manner of bags and racks, I've decided to strip this back to a racer.

The frame was handbuilt by Don Brooks in Grantham for a friend of his. He built very few frames during his lifetime, and this is number 124 of around 200, built in around 1990.

I just need some more sunny days and I'll take it out to the countryside.

This is what the original buyer had to say about it:

"- That particular frame was made the winter of 1992/93. The reason I know is because I'd started winning road races and riding Peter Buckleys at
that point, and they used to get you to wear frame numbers. And Don and I were very similar - we didnt like zipp ties on bikes, so he put the braze
on, for the frame number! :)
- It's a mix of SL and SLX. I seem to remember it had cinelli lugs -you should be able to look and tell farily easily.
_ re Don, no not many people rode his frames because quite frankly he only made frames for people he respected as bike riders. When I was growing up he only made frames for Rod Ellingworth. He made him one per year. I know before I met Don he'd made a frame for the Dawes girl too (I can't remember her name but very talented) and a few other national riders etc.
- Don offered to make my first bike in 1991, yours is/was my 2nd. I had 2 more after that, and then 1 more which I still have (my last bike built by Don)."

Frame: Don Brooks, mixture of SLX and SL.

Fork: Don Brooks straight bladed Columbus.

Headset: Campagnolo Athena
Stem: 3TTT
Handlebar: 3TTT Campione
Bar Tape: Fizik microtex

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano RX100 (until I find some DA ones at a jumble!)
Brake Calipers: Dura Ace 7401

Shifters: Simplex aero
Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 7401
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7402
Cassette: Dura Ace close ratio
Cranks: Dura Ace 7400
Chainrings: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Athena
Pedals: Shimano M540

Rims: Wolber TX
Hubs: Dura Ace 7400
Tyres: Michelin Dynamic Classic

Saddle: Brooks B17 (looks good for photos, but might swap out)
Seatpost: Generic

2012-08-16%252017.54.35.jpg

2012-08-16%252017.53.54.jpg

2012-08-16%252017.54.13.jpg
[/img]

Very nice. Looks a classy machine. I can't escape the fact tat I think I prefer most Dura Ace to that year's Campag stuff.

I really like the Don Brooks horizontal/vertical head tube decal. Shame the saddle and bars aren't exactly the same brown ;)

grilla":1396tpe9 said:
I really like the Don Brooks horizontal/vertical head tube decal. Shame the saddle and bars aren't exactly the same brown ;)

I'm just amazed the decals and paint have stood up to 20 years of use, particularly considering the last owner used it regularly for audaxing.

Maybe one day I'll buy some Brooks tape for the bars and match the colours, but right now I'm trying to decide if I even like that saddle. It's still bloody hard after 250+ miles.

Iwasgoodonce":34z63gvf said:
Very nice. Looks a classy machine. I can't escape the fact tat I think I prefer most Dura Ace to that year's Campag stuff.

Totally agree. I think the 7400 era stuff is one of the nicest looking groups ever. It's all the muted greys and Japanese style that does it for me. Although C-Record campag stuff is lovely, it is very 'blingy'.

That is a really nice bike you have, quality parts including Simplex levers as well. I would swap the saddle to a Rolls or Turbo, Brooks' only look right for me on touring bikes. I had one for years and comfort wise it was never a patch on Rolls.

Funnily enough, I swapped out the Rolls (I have them on three other different bikes) for the photo. I find Brooks are ok as long as you're in a fairly upright position and I think I've got it about right adjustment wise so that when it's softer it'll be fine.
I'll give it another couple of goes without padded shorts, and if not then switch back to the Rolls.

I've heeded some advice and put some black bar tape and a Flite titanium on.
I like it, anyway!
I also tried to way it this morning, and it's just under 9KG as far as I can tell.

15GcH.jpg

ForestHill":lubcczg3 said:
I've heeded some advice and put some black bar tape and a Flite titanium on.]
You find the saddle and bar tape from a rubbish bin :oops: You could/can find better as your machine deserves better.

Back