Peugeot Perthus Pro refurbishment, opinions needed on design

mAdam

Old School Hero
Always wanted a racey Peugeot from the late 80's early 90's, but back then i was still a schoolboy and pocketmoney was never going to get me much. There have been a few Perthus Pro's appear on the forum in recent times and my intrest in them was reborn. A few weeks back 531 pro showed us his fantastic Aravis and it was enough for me to jump straight onto bGay & Gumtree on the hunt. After a few failed searches, i gave up and was just about to return to a few of my other half finished projects, when i accidently stumbled upon a blue/white Perthus 52cm in need of a good home. The bike was just up the road from me and although tatty, neglected and not 100% original, i was happy with the price i finally haggled for it and i really fancied having a go at returning it to some kind of glory.

pp1.jpg

So here is what i ended up with, a few components missing, seatpost seized, and some rust pitting in accordance with around 12 years of sitting alone in an old shed. No dents or damage to the 753, although the paint has some nasty scrapes which will NOT buff out!

pp2.jpg

Purists, please forgive me. As much as i would love to keep the bike original, the decals and paint are simply not good enough to save. :( My immediate plans are to free the seatpost, source some Shimano 600 parts to complete the groupset, and then decide on a frame refurb....

pp3.jpg

Stripped and ready for some surgery :D :D

Perthus Pro

Hi

I've just taken delivery of a similarly tubed Peugeot Chorus, admittedly in better nick than your frame. I have just built it up with stuff lying around the garage in the hope of swapping components for better, more period parts as funds allow. The frame rides fantastically well so once built I think you'll be really pleased with it.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration photos.

Stigheed

The 753 Chorus is a lovely bike, health to enjoy. I'm really keen to sort out my old Pug, but it'll be a slow process, between my other unfinished projects, work, and cutting out that seatpost which i know will be 5 or 6mm thick alloy! :shock:

You are more than welcome to spend a few hours with my seatpost :LOL: Great piece you did on cutting out your post. It is exactly the method i'm adopting, not looking forward to it, but its the only sensible option, 24 year old 753 tubing is fragile stuff! well worth the sacrafice of an old alloy seatpost........5mm thick! :roll:

mAdam":1zaeue83 said:
You are more than welcome to spend a few hours with my seatpost :LOL: Great piece you did on cutting out your post. It is exactly the method i'm adopting, not looking forward to it, but its the only sensible option, 24 year old 753 tubing is fragile stuff! well worth the sacrafice of an old alloy seatpost........5mm thick! :roll:

Thanks, I wouldn't be rushing to do another but its not as bad as it looks. Just put the kettle on and take your time. Funny how its the really thick posts that stick isn't it? :LOL: The main thing to hope for is that there's not a lot of post down the seat tube!

Back to the future!

Cor, that's a nice bike! Seems like there's a few of us late 80's school boys finally in a position to buy the top of the range Peugeot's we always wanted!! I've just purchased a Perthus myself (bit older than yours) so will be watching this with interest. Let me know if you want any Shimano 600 bits and bobs - forgive me, but I'm going to be putting modern Ultegra on mine so will have pretty much the entire groupset going spare at some point. We should all get together in our Z-Peugeot jerseys and go for a historic club run or something...

Must be something in the water? :D love your Aravis by the way, mybe I'll look out for one next. Pearl white is top of my list when it comes to the frame refurb. Thanks for the offer of the parts, but I should have a few boxes turning up soon with hopefully what I need, I'll certainly let you know.

Had a breif go at removing the bottom bracket this evening, its a sealed Shimano unit? :? Surely not original? But, anyway, its seems well and truly stuck, so It's enjoying a nice soak in WD.

I guess if everything was easy, everyone would be doing it! :LOL:

Old Peugeots

531 Pro, you really wouldn't want to see me in an 80s Z-Peugeot (tight fitting) lycra top. Once upon a time the ladies may have been impressed, but not for a while since now.

Stigheed

Back