Rusty Frame

ed_de_ball

Dirt Disciple
I have a steel frame from ths early 70's which has lots of light rust spots. How to treat them but keep the original paint job and transfers. Oswald I would like to laquer the frame.

i try to go over with p3 cutting compound or t cut or auto glymn paint rennovator and a very light sponge the green or white scourer type (use the scourer side and be really gentle) , dont press to hard and gently do the whole bike , strip as much ancillary eqpt off as you can or dare and keep going polishing, concentrate on harder rust areas , normally works a treat for me , auto sol any chrome or exposed metal parts.

I then normally get the turtle wax colour magic as close to the frame colour as poss and go again.

If the stickers are torn or ripped and are still ok tho I use a degreasing wipe (in a tub , my mate gets them for me like wet wipes but degrease and clean up all the stains and marks in the stickers) i try to then clean up the stickers cutting the worst bits where it piles up and remove them leaving as much of the still stuck down section as i can

once you have colour magiced and polished i normally auto glym resin polish the whole bike again then put several coats of the (gold label) top coat protector on it , thsi really locks in the paint and decals and helps keep it clean from water and road grime and shows of the bike a treat.

I have toyed with laquering but feel my method works just as well and keeps the bike origanl and alive and also protected

good luck

Latest posts

Back