1967 Flying Scot Patina

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
The start of what is likely to be a build thread ;)

Maybe.

collected this last autumn.......

Used a lot by original owner, European tours etc, but sat in a garage for a good few years since being laid up.

Came with solid Urathon rubber tyres which PO said were pretty unforgiving, chrome wheels, coating of dust and plenty rust freckles. Solid Brooks saddle too, which I'm currently softening up......

Plan is now to get it built to suit me, ride it, then, maybe, repaint. We'll see.

Stage 1

Cleaned up a bit.
Internals lubed and serviced.
Mudguards and rack ditched.
Tyres and wheels replaced with good ol' Scottish Pneumatic design :D and Campag 700c items. That shed a few lbs and gained two gears, now seven speed.
Fluted seatpost fitted.
Black Brooks removed temporarily and brown Spoon fitted. Comfy.

P1010656.jpg

P1010662.jpg

P1010667.jpg

P1010671.jpg

P1010673.jpg

P1010683.jpg

P1010695.jpg

P1010698.jpg

P1010703.jpg

P1010717.jpg

P1010720.jpg

Desperately needs wider bars and longer stem I think. Can't decide whether to keep as 7 speed or replace chainset with a double Campag or Stronglight. New cables too and change of pedals on the cards.

Maybe bar end shifters or, gulp, Ergos :roll:

Gorgeous bike.

If you want to keep the patina i wouldnt use the t-cut n polish stuff. To keep the patina id maybe use safe-cut, if at all (its less abrasive) , and Collinite clear coat wax. Used a similar process on old patina'd VWs. I have previously used Ankor wax, but feels a bit greasy so i now use Collinite wax, or an Autoglym 3 stage process, depending on the application, how much protection i want and how shiny.

Stage 2 :p

Wider bars installed along with cleaner longer stem. Fits me better now :D

Wider bars make a huge difference to comfort and handling. Need new bar tape.

IMG00018-20120725-2044.jpg

IMG00022-20120725-2046.jpg

IMG00020-20120725-2046.jpg

Crappy phone photos......

so much potential....
but those bars, the tape and saddle have to go - they look out of place ,with odd positions and detract from the frame.
(according to me anyway)

oldmuthariley":2v4ehxyg said:
so much potential....
but those bars, the tape and saddle have to go - they look out of place ,with odd positions and detract from the frame.
(according to me anyway)

+1

Ian Raleigh":jzox1uok said:
oldmuthariley":jzox1uok said:
so much potential....
(according to me anyway)

+1

+2 :( Sorry, but you're killing a great bike :(

Robbied196":239ig4t4 said:
Ian Raleigh":239ig4t4 said:
oldmuthariley":239ig4t4 said:
so much potential....
(according to me anyway)

+1

+2 :( Sorry, but you're killing a great bike :(

By making it comfortable and able to be ridden by him? That isn't killing it but making it usable and extending it's life, it's a bike not a museum piece.

Back